Starter for my 2.5L by stefanosg
Started on: 11-15-2013 05:58 AM
Replies: 6 (288 views)
Last post by: johnt671 on 11-15-2013 01:37 PM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '88 with a 2.5L and automatic transmission. All signs are pointing to the bendix in my starter going bad. I've seen quite a bit here on replacing them on the V6, but little on the L4. One thing in particular was mention of the gear reduction starters. From some of the discussions, it kinda looked like the ones for the 6 will work on the 4.

I guess what I am looking for are recommendations in this area. Is there a gear reduction starter for my application, and if so what should I look for to get the right one? Also, any tips on the replacing portion of the repair?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you can use a V6 starter, but others will have to chime in. As for changing it out. You may have to unbolt the exhaust from the manifold and lower the exhaust to get the starter out. I can't remember for sure, but the 4cyl cat. is pretty big.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to remove any exhaust pieces, it's really an easy job to do a Duke starter.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The starters are the same....and you can replace them with the newer smaller starter if you like. Where I live there is still an independent auto electrical shop that rebuilds starters, and I found that fix to be the cheapest...( and best, I think).
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there one you would recommend, if I were to go with the smaller, gear reduction, starter? I believe I read that one from a 98 Bonneville would work.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you run a search here, you'll find many threads that have discussed this swap. There are a lot of other GM cars that use a suitable starter.

It's a very worthwhile swap as the newer starters are smaller and much lighter.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a starter for a 98 Grand whatever Pontiac had out at the time with a 3800 motor. Its been on my 84 Duke since spring and working great. Small than the oem starter and half the weight. So much easier to install.

When I pulled the starter I disconnected the battery, disconnected the wires on the starter, and removed the two bolts that hold the starer on. I slid the starter over to the pass. side of the car, and played around with the starter to get the angle I needed to slid it out. This was the hardest part of the job. The gear reduction starter is so much easier to work with if you ever have to pull it again. You will pat yourself on the back for doing this mod.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock