pigtail for 88 oil sender ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 11-08-2013 02:13 PM
Replies: 8 (338 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 11-09-2013 01:00 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the "Boneyard, What years/models will have the 3 wire pigtail for the sender to fit a 88 Fiero Oil Sender ?? Going now, Anyone ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came back with a 4 wire pigtail off a 3800. will this work for the 88 fiero sender ?
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 type is a three wire connector. Sorry Lou
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, if need be I'll buy a New one. BUT... WHERE does it get "Wired to" ?? says nothing in GMtuners wiring diagram about the oil pressure sender. Thanks
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

well, if need be I'll buy a New one. BUT... WHERE does it get "Wired to" ?? says nothing in GMtuners wiring diagram about the oil pressure sender. Thanks

Center wire to E on C203 connector, emit the other 2 if you redid the fuel pump relay/wiring.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it dawned on me, on the harness diagrams, it says "nothing" about rewiring the fuel pump, or oil sender. The 3 oil senders I have are ALL" 3 wire", Can't I just use the new oil sender I have (1987), with the stock pigtail , stock wired fuel pump relay, and have it all work the way it is ???
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From other postings, the 88 is smoother and less likely to fail.
Many GM cars after 88 had that style plug/sending unit.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou, go to this link http://www.rockauto.com/cat...?pk=82454&cc=1028641

1991 Chevrolet Beretta 3.1 V6. AC Delco Part # PT121. That will tell you what the connector looks like. When you have the right connector, if you orient it the same as your original sender, you will have the right splicing pattern.

So, looking at the top of the original sending unit, the blades are like so: I _ I Take the new harness connector and orient it like this: * . * and take the corresponding wires and splice to the old harness.

As a temporary fix, I used spade connectors on the new harness and simply plugged them into the original harness connector without having to cut and splice the engine harness. It's been working fine for about a month.

Edited to correct the link.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-09-2013).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I came back with a 4 wire pigtail off a 3800. will this work for the 88 fiero sender ?

Yes it will work fine. The fourth wire doesn't connect to anything. You can pull it and replace it with a plug if you wish. Don't pull it and leave it open however since moisture will get in.

Looking at your 88 oil pressure sender - The Tan middle wire goes to the gauge. The two outside wires, Orange/Black and Tan/White connect to the fuel pump relay contacts and C203. It doesn't matter which pin goes to which contact. You can leave the wires off but if your fuel pump relay ever does fail, you would then be stranded. If you wire them up, and your fuel pump relay fails you will have longer crank start, but your Fiero will still run.

--------
That said, many people with 3800s and the stock 88 Fiero have a problem where the oil pressure gauge is pegged at 80 PSI when the engine is running. The 3800 can produce over 80 psi of oil pressure. A remedy is to use the 4 pin oil pressure sender from a 98 Bonneville. The gauge on the Bonneville reads 0 - 40 - 120. The sender is still a 0 - 90 ohm sender. So by using the Bonneville sender, your stock Fiero gauge would read 0 - 40 - 120. You could do something to relabel your gauge, or you could just know that instead of 80, the full right position is actually 120.

When using the Bonneville 4 wire sender you will need that 4th pin (Black), the one that does not connect to anything on the Fiero sender, to be connected to ground.

On my harnesses I use the 4 wire connector with the 4th pin wired to ground. That way it will work with either the 88 Fiero 3 pin sender or the 98 4 pin Bonneville sender.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 11-09-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock