No Check engine light (car runs fine) by zkhennings
Started on: 11-05-2013 03:44 PM
Replies: 7 (662 views)
Last post by: zkhennings on 11-07-2013 12:47 AM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried new working bulb, still does not come on

Checked power on the printed metal strip where the bulb contacts, nothing.

Car runs and drives fine but I would to check the codes.

Is there an ECM pin I can backprobe or other way to make sure the signal is being sent?

Any other ideas are welcome,

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

Is there an ECM pin I can backprobe or other way to make sure the signal is being sent?

Thanks

Yes, if you connect pins A and B on the ALDL and follow the process, it will let you check the codes. You should get a code 12 to let you know the computer is "OK"

How to check codes: http://www.pontiacperforman.../OSG/codes.html#read
What the codes mean: http://www.pontiacperforman...icles/OSG/codes.html
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think the OP is telling us that the light does not work under those conditions.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-05-2013).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread title sounded like your issue was there are no problems, no idiot lights, car runs fine....it was freaking you out

lol
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

Thanks

Unplug the ECM, turn the key on and ground the SES lamp wire in the harness. The bulb should light. If it does, the ECM is bad. If not, the wiring or power to the bulb is bad.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 11-05-2013).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the pinout handy, but the CEL trigger runs through the C203. unplug the C203, ground the pin for the bulb (should be a brown wire IIRC.) and that will tell you if it's in the chassis harness or something with the PCM/connectors.

I ran into a similar problem on my 3500 swap, the bulb wasn't coming on. turned out to be a mis-wired PCM.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wire for the SES lamp is brown with a white stripe. It goes thru pin C in the C203 plug, and pin A5 on the V6 ECM. Like mentioned above, ground that wire to turn on the SES lamp.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I needed to know just that. The actual printed circuit on the back of the dash appears fine, I have had it out of the car a few times. IIRC the light stopped working some time after I set the timing (either immediately or within a few minutes) I did not pay attention to it at the time. It is probably a fluke though I will check the harness itself at the C203 connector and hopefully the test light will light. If not is there a possibility it is internal to the ECM? I can obviously trace it back and backprobe the ECM connector if it does not light at the C203, but if it does not light there... If it DOES light at the c203, then I will check the actual plug that plugs into the dash itself because the printed circuit probably got messed up there if it got messed up anywhere.

I will check first and then post back

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock