Started on: 11-05-2013 08:08 AM
Replies: 10 (240 views)
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 11-13-2013 10:41 AM
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a « cheap » way of adding OBDII telemetry to a race car? It’s for ice endure ice-racing and snow cross. In this case, not a Fiero but same idea and I would probably use it in my 3800SC Fiero during the off season.

I’d like something like Android Torque and having the phone re-transmit the data to another phone. I understand there would be some lag, but it’s better than nothing. Is there such a solution available?

Thnaks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no one?

Basically I would like the pit crew to monitor the car while it is on the track. wifi and bluetooth would probably not hold connection on the entire track.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, not really. All the solutions I've ever seen for that are a few thousand dollars.

If you have the skills, it would theoretically be possible to build a cheaper solution, but reliable connectivity is a hard problem. All the pro race solutions use localized radio to solve that problem, rather than relying on cellular connectivity or the like.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crap.. I guess I will have to invent one. :P

I wonder how hard it would be to code a repater for torque? The andoid device connected to the OBD dongle would simply be transmitting the data via cellular to another android device that would be the client.

I wish there was an app already in place.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Serial-Over-IP setup would potentially let a laptop receiving ECM data, stream it out over the internet to another PC.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

Crap.. I guess I will have to invent one. :P

I wonder how hard it would be to code a repater for torque? The andoid device connected to the OBD dongle would simply be transmitting the data via cellular to another android device that would be the client.

I wish there was an app already in place.

I don't know if Torque supports streaming or uploading the data to a server anywhere or not. There's nothing to do to "repeat" the data. A custom app that uploaded the data to a server would work, but could be slow, and cellular network connectivity can be unreliable, especially in areas where racing cars on ice tends to occur.

And unless you've already got all the hardware, and can write the app yourself, the costs can add up pretty quick, especially when buying things at retail prices, buying 2 unlimited data plans, and hosting a server somewhere for the data.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
easy answer.... Raspberry Pi device (or similar) setup as a serial over Ethernet controller (cheapest route) or a device such as a perle IO LAN, to connect to your ECU, then a high powered wifi card, such as a 2Watt alfa card, or similar with a high gain antenna mounted on the roof, should give you about ~1mile open air range to receive the data....

could also run like a netbook with the high powered wifi.... then just "RDP" or VNC into the device to get 'live' data...

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

easy answer.... Raspberry Pi device (or similar) setup as a serial over Ethernet controller (cheapest route) or a device such as a perle IO LAN, to connect to your ECU, then a high powered wifi card, such as a 2Watt alfa card, or similar with a high gain antenna mounted on the roof, should give you about ~1mile open air range to receive the data....

could also run like a netbook with the high powered wifi.... then just "RDP" or VNC into the device to get 'live' data...

WiFi might be possible with powerful enough antennas on both ends, and a fairly clear line of site between the antennas, with minimal obstructions. The wave amplitude is fairly small and reception is problematic when there's plenty of interference, either from other racers with the same idea, or from physical obstructions like trees, grandstands, or pit garages. A good solution with WiFi will have a large dependency on course layout and other people not doing the same thing.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy. Torque supports real time upload of captured data to a web server. Just configure and go.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Easy. Torque supports real time upload of captured data to a web server. Just configure and go.

Really??? Awesome!!! Is there a client that I can use to read it real time from the webserver?
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

Really??? Awesome!!! Is there a client that I can use to read it real time from the webserver?

if its 'web' server id assume any browser? just be careful, "real time" to them might be a delay of xxx seconds...
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock