REAR DEFROSTER by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 11-03-2013 07:02 PM
Replies: 8 (206 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-05-2013 06:44 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the possible malfunctions that would cause the rear defroster to not work?
Thanks for your time,
Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A break in any of those lines on the glass will open the circuit.....as well as the usual wiring and connector issues on a 25 year old car.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to start by checking the fuse. Switch could also be a problem.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The defroster circuit also has a special relay that has an integral timer in it. If I recall correctly the first time you turn on the defroster the relay will stay energized for something like 15 minutes. Once it turns off, if you re-press the switch it will come on for something like 7 minutes each successive time after the first 15 minutes. It resets itself once you turn off the ignition. All this to say that it could be the defroster relay that's malfunctioned too. If you need a copy of the circuit from the FSM, just say so and I can post one for you.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:
The defroster circuit also has a special relay that has an integral timer in it. If I recall correctly the first time you turn on the defroster the relay will stay energized for something like 15 minutes. Once it turns off, if you re-press the switch it will come on for something like 7 minutes each successive time after the first 15 minutes. It resets itself once you turn off the ignition. All this to say that it could be the defroster relay that's malfunctioned too. If you need a copy of the circuit from the FSM, just say so and I can post one for you.

10 then 5 or 5 then 2.5 depending on year. later cars have short on time. Times are labeled on the relay.
the "relay" is above brake pedal.

Most problem are defog grid on glass, switch, breaker is bad, or something is shorting and blow the breaker or fuse.
Relay maybe but is very reliable.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys. I'll start the inevitable elimation process.
Rich
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anything you can do if it is a break in the window grid?
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep: you can bridge the brake with conductive epoxy. Lots of kits for this, such as : http://www.amazon.com/Perma...Repair/dp/B000HBI9YQ

I have not tried any of these kits, but see no reason they will not work.

Larry
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best defroster I had in all my Fieros that I drove all winter was the engine heat rising thru the gap at the rear glass. I never turned on the electric defroster ever in any of them. In my Ferrari kit, i just used that grid for my radio antenna. Worked great. Lots of newer cars also use a rear glass wire grid for radio reception now. Magnum for one uses a grid in the rear glass.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock