Good v8 for fiero gt by Kfa171
Started on: 10-30-2013 06:11 AM
Replies: 45 (1359 views)
Last post by: FFIEROFRED on 11-01-2013 11:11 AM
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Archie on most points. I had never done an engine swap until I bought Archie's basic kit along with the water pump drive, radiator and clutch. Using his instructions, I was able to install my 350 with few glitches. The time it took me, was more than 40 hours, but other modifications, like coil overs were done as the process went along. Since building the V8, I also came across a good deal on an 84 with a good 3.8 SC swap. I really prefer to drive the V8 and it has won a number of awards at shows I've attended. The 3.8 car, though really nicely done, (mostly by the PO) goes to shows and nobody cares that it has an engine swap. I know that I and many car show guys are older, so that may be why we relate to the SB swap more than the 3.8 swap. I look at the V8 as my modern day street rod. I look at the SC car as my very quick, no fuss daily driver type. The v8 has a stick, the 3.8 an automatic- perhaps that affects my interpretation of these very different swaps. Not having done the 3.8 myself, I don't have the personal attachment to the car, either. The receipts that came with the 3.8 car total up to a lot more than the cost of building my V8 project, however the 3.8 PO spared NO expense. Only you can decide what you like best when it comes to your personal choices on an engine swap. Totally different personalities from one swap to another, in my opinion.
No one has ever said this was a hack job- at least not to my face.

I take little credit for this install, mosty done by the picky PO.
IP: Logged
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Putting a 350 SBC into a Fiero is not all that more expensive than any of the other swaps that have been suggested.

Archie

With all due respect Archie, because you are owed allot of respect, my carb'd 4.9 with a new 3 core rad was only about $1500 all costs in.
That included $500 for the engine, a new Spec + clutch etc. I just don't think I could have done an SBC for the same money, and I had a friend willing to give me a 4 bolt '70's Vette motor too. If I could have afforded it I would have bought product from you because I know it would be good and more power. Of course this is a home build

Arn
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
With all due respect Archie, because you are owed allot of respect, my carb'd 4.9 with a new 3 core rad was only about $1500 all costs in.
That included $500 for the engine, a new Spec + clutch etc. I just don't think I could have done an SBC for the same money, and I had a friend willing to give me a 4 bolt '70's Vette motor too. If I could have afforded it I would have bought product from you because I know it would be good and more power. Of course this is a home build

Arn

Unless it was an early 70s Vette, the 4.9 probably makes more power. Mid-70s through mid-80s are not exactly known for big HP numbers, as they were severely choked down due to the petroleum crisis and manufacturers struggling to meet new emissions requirements.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Putting a 350 SBC into a Fiero is not all that more expensive than any of the other swaps that have been suggested.

Yes you do need an adapter plate & a few other custom parts. My Master-Build V-8 conversion kit is a little over $3K. But that kit is going to provide everything you need to put a SBC into a Fiero. Add an engine & engine controls & you've got what you're going to need.

Is it everything or not?

$3K master kit
$1200 crate engine you like to cite
Let's be nice and say only $500 for manifold, wiring, fuel injection and tuning.

That's $4700 + labor

Considering that complete 3800 SC pullout powertrains with wiring and fuel injection are available from $1000 (or even less in some areas...) the idea that a Chevy swap is no more expensive doesn't hold water. With nothing more than a pulley, the 3800 also equals the 270 HP crate engine in power.

New vs. used is irrelevant, as fuel injected engines don't see cold start fuel wash of the bores that carb'd engines used to; fuel injected engines essentially do not wear out.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-01-2013).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Widow has an Archie master kit.... was easy to install and as he said costs are comparable to a 3800 swap if ya factor in all the expenses and time. I am NOT a mechanic and do not have a metal working shop..... I have a garage with no lift and basic tools .... take kit out of box bolt everything together and drop it back in .. thats it thats all I did . now I enjoy a V8 growl of a SBC 5.7L

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-31-2013).]

FFIEROFRED

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kid, just buy a fiero with a V8 already in it. THAT is the best bang for your buck if you can't do it your self.

But it would be a good thing for you to go get a ride in a few fiero's. Spend the money to do this. It will be the best money you ever spent on your fiero. Each of the swaps you asked about will make for a intersting car. they will all be faster than the stock fiero. Each will be good at some things, but NOT every thing. Ride in them. Ask what they cost. When you go to ride in a turboed 3800 or a built sbc powered fiero bring a change of undies.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock