Bad fuel injector - a few questions by DaveK1987V6
Started on: 10-14-2013 09:23 AM
Replies: 4 (263 views)
Last post by: DaveK1987V6 on 10-14-2013 10:36 AM
DaveK1987V6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveK1987V6Send a Private Message to DaveK1987V6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - I'm new here, but have been reading for a while. My stock 1987 V6 suddenly lost power and ran really rough - I traced it to a blown injector fuse which blew again when replaced. I tried a 10 amp and it ran briefly then died completely and now won't start at all. I checked the resistance at the 6 pin connector in the engine compartment and one bank is ~7 ohms and the other is only ~2 ohms. I've removed the plenum and checked all the injectors, 5 of them are 12.5 ohms and the other is less than 2 ohms, so I guess it's the bad one and the reason for my initial fuse problem. I've ordered a new injector to replace the bad one.
Now for the questions:
1. Could I have damaged the ECM by running with the 10 amp fuse? Since it won't start at all any more I'm afraid that something else is damaged. I'm going to check for a firing signal with a noid lamp (don't have one yet). I guess I'll need to put the distributor cap and rotor back on to do that?
2. How does the fuel rail come out? - it looks like the injectors are at an angle and won't just pull out - although I've read that they will.
3. I broke a stud off the EGR tube at the manifold connection so I managed to undo it at the plenum connection. How do I fix the stud? I don't see how I can get at it with a drill.

Any and all help welcome
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete 2.8L sitting in my garage, so before you buy any more parts for it let me know. I have it up for sale but haven't had any takers so it's probably best if I let it go for parts.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel injectors can still move quite a bit. The fuel rail does just pull up once you remove the 2 bolts and the fuel lines. It may take some wiggling to break the o-rings loose.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ecm injector output is a "sinking" output which means it grounds the injectors to fire them. That makes it a fairly rebust driver but can still be damaged.
The noid light will tell you is you have an ecm problem or not. Each bank of three has it's own fuse so if one bank still fires and the other does not it most likely means a bad ecm. Just be sure you have continuity all the way from the ecm to the injectors before you declare the ecm bad.

welcome to the forum.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 10-14-2013).]

DaveK1987V6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveK1987V6Send a Private Message to DaveK1987V6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies.

It'll be a week or so before I have the new injector - it only cost $22 on-line so I hope it's OK when it arrives - it's made by Delphi. It'll also be a week or so before I have the noid lamp since I'm not going into town for a while (I live in the country near Toronto).

I want to try the noid lamp before I remove the fuel rail to see if I have a firing signal - it was running on 3 cylinders rough but otherwise sort of OK, but won't run at all now, that's why I'm worried about the ECM.

I'll keep in mind the 2.8 that's not selling, for spares - thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock