Need help with TH125 auto. trans, question by hdryder
Started on: 10-12-2013 05:52 PM
Replies: 13 (384 views)
Last post by: hdryder on 10-16-2013 11:22 AM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the Automatic Shift Cable removed, would there be anything causing the shifter bolt (coming out of the transmission where the cable bracket is bolted on to) from rotating?
It seems to be locked, and will not rotate to shift into gears.

I'm installing this used transmission and just noticed this condition when trying to connect the shift cable.

Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If in a car and parked on a hill... Can load park parts inside and "lock" the lever.

Otherwise no reason to lock the lever.

Does take some effort to move lever/tube on trans because detent inside. Detent keep trans in gear etc when shifter/cable goes bad in highway.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sent pm

Originally posted by theogre:

Does take some effort to move lever/tube on trans because detent inside. Detent keep trans in gear etc when shifter/cable goes bad in highway.

Are the detents the only thing that could be holding it in position? I have a couple of other transmissions that are able to rotate this shaft fairly easily, but this one appears to be locked.

It was stored for a while before I decided to use it, which may have helped cause it to freeze up.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 10-13-2013).]

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hdryder

674 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Could the locked transmission have anything to do with installing the CV axles I have done earlier, after putting the engine/trans. cradle up in the car?

I am currently able to rotate both LH & RH axles freely in either direction.

But the gear selector bolt coming out of the transmission is locked in the full clock-wise position, and I can not get it to rotate counter-clock-wise at all.

I would hate to have to drop the engine/trans cradle down and out again, and start this project all over from the begining.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just how hard are you trying to move it? Are you sure it not at the stop the other direction? Larry
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Just how hard are you trying to move it? Are you sure it not at the stop the other direction? Larry

I have tried moving it very hard in both directions, CCW & CW.

It will not move in either direction.

If I can't get it to move and connect the cable, it looks like I will have to start all over again, with another transmission that's currently in a parts car.

That would make this project much more involved and time consuming.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 10-13-2013).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I pulled it out I would put a wrench on it and see if it can be broke loose, as it is now it's DOA. Tap the end of the shaft some to see if you can crack it loose. Larry
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would disconnecting and connecting the TV cable have any affect on the gear sector bolt?

I had to do that when I drop the engine cradle for the swap.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hdryder

674 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Is there anything I could access by removing the lower filter pan or the valve body side pan, to see what may be causing any interference or binding?

I had them both off when the trans. was out, and nothing looked out of the norm. at that time.
I installed new gaskets and a new filter at that time.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry...
I don't think you can see the detent from bottom pan or side cover.
That is buried inside in two sections of the case.

You might see parking pawl link and shift shaft from pan area.
If work before change filter... The filter etc maybe blocking shift shaft etc.
The shaft is long to reach bottom of trans.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the gear selector cable lever bolt coming out of the trans is locked in the full Clock-Wise position, I would think that would be in the Park position.
Would that be a correct assumption?

Also, if that is in the Park position, both CV axles should not be able to rotate in either direction, correct?

I'm just trying make sure I can't use this trans. before having to remove it and swap in another one.

Thanks for the help.
PFF
System Bot
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the junkyard got bruttal and over stroked the shift lever. Drop the bottom pan and remove the park guide(two bolts). See if the ball on the actuater rod has been pulled past the park pall(this will prevent return travel). If it has, you will need to remove the VB and chain case. Either the roll pin on the rooster comb or the detent spring/roller will have been damaged causing misalignment of the manual valve. Misalignment will lead to trans failure. You can't see these things without pulling the chain case. Not that big a job if the trans is verticle(chain case facing up). If you're not comfortable with doing the repair, go back to the yard and get another unit.
Marc
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Originally posted by hdryder:

If the gear selector cable lever bolt coming out of the trans is locked in the full Clock-Wise position, I would think that would be in the Park position.
Would that be a correct assumption?

No. Park is full CCW. Fiero shift Arm points to front of car.

Also, if that is in the Park position, both CV axles should not be able to rotate in either direction, correct?
No. Park pawl locks trans not axles.

Shift works before... Likely something you did changing the filter is binding shift shaft or park link.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Shift works before... Likely something you did changing the filter is binding shift shaft or park link.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if the shift rod selector worked before I changed the filter, as I did not check that before the install. I bought the engine/trans on a cradle and was told that everything was working when it was pulled from a vehicle. I took the guys word for it and decided to use it. Most likely it was not working correctly when I bought it.

Now I realize I should have done a more complete check on this unit, rather than trusting his word on it. Everything looked OK, but I did not check the operation of the gear selection rod coming out of the transmission. I will now know to check that in the future.

A transmission filter change is fairly straight forward, and I can't imagine how that could have caused the lock-up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock