I recently went looking for a short, and found it. But, on the way I decided to do something about my weak lighting.
Turns out that copper corrodes over 25 or so years. The switch is old school, but the copper is open to the elements
So I opened up the case. Easy does it. It is plastic after all
Inside, the lithium grease was in good shape
But an initial look found black on the metal
The contact arms are pretty sturdy as switches go and are held in place with small copper tabs.
A bit of care and they come out, but wait, what have we here? Mo' black on the seat.
My camera isn't the best, but if you look you can see black on the tips of the arms.
Both active switch surfaces were black
So here is the easy and cheap part, a bit of emery paper or 0000 steel wool, some contact cleaner and reassembly.
You will want to test your circuits to make sure the reassembled switch parts connect. You should get 0 ohms on 2+6 and 3+5 when you are done. If not, just bend the offending arm a bit until it makes good contact.
Now I know you can buy a nice new, made in China copy from the Fiero Store for about $30 shipping in, but, for those of us that like original parts, this works.
And funnily enough, once done, the dash display brightens right up like new, as do the running lights
I hope this helps somebody
[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 10-11-2013).]