Fuel Pump Replacement by fiero5150
Started on: 10-09-2013 02:51 PM
Replies: 9 (642 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 10-10-2013 10:59 AM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After checking fuses, relays and fuel pressure testing, it seems the fuel pump gave up the ghost. There is no "fuel pump" noise when I turn on the key, but the car will start and run for a few seconds when I spray engine start fluid in the carb. There is oil pressure on the gauge when the engine starts. So, never having replaced a fuel pump in an 88 GT, 2.8 L., I am seeking any advice or recommendations on how to go about this. Also, what pump should I replace it with so I don't have any issues with it being reliable and compatible with all related systems and components? The local parts store has an A/C Delco replacement, but I believe there are other pumps that may work just as well or better. Thanks for your input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an Airtex fuel pump from auto zone that I bought and installed back in Jan 2012 and have had no problems with it and it is on a daily driver Fiero. But it seems now a days that with any brand you will either get a good or bad one, seems like its the luck of the draw, as I have read here before replacing mine on what brand to get like you are, so I just went with whatever they had at autozone.

Here is the guide I used when I had to replace mine. Very good write up.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096769.html

[This message has been edited by S-toon (edited 10-09-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you apply 12v in the ALDL connection? There is a pin there where you can put 12volts directly to the pump. If that doesn't work, then you have a wiring issue, or a bad pump. (port G)

http://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=347

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 10-09-2013).]

mattman8

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman8Send a Private Message to mattman8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an airtex one that I installed in 2011 that just died with less then 5k on it. I'm going with the Bosch pump from Rockauto.
fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you S-toon and Jackispyder. I read both articles and they are a great help. One other question (s). What is a "Pulsator", where is it, and does it have to be replaced along with the fuel pump? Thanks.
Midn1ght Driv3r

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not great with technical jargon but the pulsator is on the assembly after the pump. It controls the fuel pressure by maintaining it not have to spike the pressure from the pump every time. If you're there you should either replace it or typically a piece of hose is included in the pump kit so you can bypass it.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I have to replace a fuel pump I only use ACDelco EP378. They last a long time.

Jack
fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses. The A/C Delco seems like a safe bet. As to the Pulsator, do I replace the it or bypass it when I change the fuel pump? What bad things can happen if the Pulsator is bypassed?
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The AC Delco pump comes with a short piece of tubbing and 2 hose clamps to replace the pulsator. If the Pulsator looks good I will re-install it. Also replace the strainer at the same time.

Jack
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at the DW 200 pump and has sufficient flow (255 lph) to run a stock 3800 SC engine. It has a three year no fault warranty and can be purchased for about $96 (including an installation kit).

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock