Advise on Blasting Gun Replacement by labbe001
Started on: 10-09-2013 12:17 PM
Replies: 11 (580 views)
Last post by: Lambo nut on 10-11-2013 10:54 PM
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys,
I have a blast cabinet that i purchased from harbor freight a long time ago. i have been fairly pleased with my purchase over the years. However, the gun that came with the cabinet has cracked on me and is leaking air. I am looking for a good replacement gun to use with the cabinet. can anyone suggest a good gun for media blasting?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They should have replacement parts available there, Harbor Fright, even a new model the gun should be similar enough to work if not just about any of them should work. I would recommend something with replaceable ceramic tips, they last longer.

and oh ya, this is more a subject for OT not here, just a heads up in case Cliff moves it for you.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

They should have replacement parts available there, Harbor Fright, even a new model the gun should be similar enough to work if not just about any of them should work. I would recommend something with replaceable ceramic tips, they last longer.

and oh ya, this is more a subject for OT not here, just a heads up in case Cliff moves it for you.

Steve

thanks for the reply steve....i'm really looking for something a little better quality than the gun that came with the cabinet....basically, i like the cabinet but would like a better gun than the one that broke....

Edit: Edit to add that the gun i am replacing is a siphon feed gun.....any opinions on siphon vs non-siphon set ups?

[This message has been edited by labbe001 (edited 10-09-2013).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trust me, you want this!

http://www.tptools.com/USA-...t,2320.html?b=d*8026

I also have the Harbor freight stand up blast cabinet. The gun mostly "worked" ok that came with it but would spit and sputter on a regular basis no matter what I tried, and after not liking the replacement nozzles I was finding for it I sprung for this set up. I will tell you it is the BEST $85 bucks you will spend on the cabinet! It is a night and days difference on the performance of the blast gun. It is much better made and the replacement nozzles are readily available from this company too and outlast the cheap ceramic replacements for the old gun by a long shot. You can even get a carbide nozzle that will last a VERY long time. I can not stress how much better off you will be with this conversion and it is very easy to change out. I wish I had done it years ago! On a side note, their gloves fit the HF cabinet too. Tip wore out on one of mine so I replaced the set. I am also looking to replace the viewing window with a nicer one from this company. Check out their other goodies for these cabinets while on their site.

Kevin
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Trust me, you want this!

Kevin

Ooh, Ooh I like that, the suction tube has a bolt down to the base of the cab, nice, I will have to modify mine like that. mine is always rising up out of the media

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check out Northern Equipment, they have 3 of the Sandyjet style guns for $20 - $50, the same ones I've used in my Snap-On cabinet for years.

$20
$40
$50

They use the standard 1/2" nozzles, you can get the ceramic ones at Harbor Freight cheap, last a LOT longer than the steel ones.

I find them at the swap meets for a couple bucks all the time. I take the nozzle/hose adapter off & thread the end for 1/8 NPT, screw in a small brass
hose fitting - makes a great air gun.

[This message has been edited by AL68 (edited 10-10-2013).]

Brucepts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my home-built cabinet I used the power head assembly and made a foot pedal setup for the air to keep the moving parts outside the cabinet. Makes for a nice small maneuverable gun

http://www.tptools.com/Powe...ly,293.html?b=d*8026

I also have a blow-off hose inside the cabinet using one of those rubber tipped flexible nozzles. Keeps all the mess inside the cabinet.

I only use plastic media inside my cabinet to clean parts I find it works best for all my applications, safe and clean.

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Trust me, you want this!

X2. I have a TP Tools bead-blast cabinet with a foot control, so the gun doesn't have a valve but it is otherwise identical to the gun in that kit. I like the setup so much that I also bought one of the kits for blasting outside the cabinet; you can just stick the pickup tube into a 5-gallon bucket of abrasive media and away you go. TP Tools sells individual replacement parts for everything they sell, as well as "tune up" kits of common wear parts. Highly recommended.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 10-10-2013).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ooh, Ooh I like that, the suction tube has a bolt down to the base of the cab, nice, I will have to modify mine like that. mine is always rising up out of the media

Steve

The original tube was bolted down in my HF cabinet, but was just a straight tube. This new one I bought has holes down it like for venting or something. I can tell you I went from the gun working, then spit sputter and clogging occasionally to a smooth constant higher flow of media and takes much less time to blast pieces in the process. I think the replacement tube they designed has just as much to do with it then the new gun.
As for the nozzles, the case hardened steel ones that came with my changeover kit far outlast the crappy stubby ceramic ones that came with my HF cabinet. TP offers their ceramic that out last their steel, then offer a carbide one, (little pricey) that takes the cake. They claim their ceramic will out last their steel 3 to 1, then the carbide over the ceramic 30 to 1!
And as Marvin said, you can get any parts you need from them along with combo packs of expendables like nozzles, jets, and gaskets for the guns and can upgrade to even better nozzles if you want.

Kevin

labbe001

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome....thank you guys...exactly the kind of information i was looking for....
Jimmy2s83

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An added thing to consider is running a Tungsten nozzle/tip. Outlasts Ceramic. Stainless, and steel 10x-100x if not more!
We use Tungsten on our blast cabinets at work and rarely have to change out the tips (Even in the most aggressive media). I don't remember the exact cost but it was significantly more than ceramic but the amount of time it lasts and that much more down time has made them a bargain.
Just something to consider.
As a hobbyist you may never have to change it again.

***NOTE I DON'T SELL THEM**** Just very impressed with durability.
PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jimmy2s83:

An added thing to consider is running a Tungsten nozzle/tip. Outlasts Ceramic. Stainless, and steel 10x-100x if not more!

I kind of already said that two post above yours. The "carbide" one I mentioned is tungsten carbide. But yes, you are still right.
I think when the steel ones that came with my kit wear out, I'm going carbide.

Kevin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock