need help 1986 2m6 by Iamlost22185
Started on: 10-09-2013 08:29 AM
Replies: 21 (295 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-11-2013 03:37 PM
Iamlost22185

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car has done this 3 times now.
I'm driving and the car will just die and not start again. I leave it and go back a few hours later and it will start right up.
It may run weeks or days before I happens again any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignition module or pickup coil probably. They are in the distributor.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do a search for ICM or ignition control module.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would start with replacing the ignition control module. They are prone to breaking down under engine heat, and when they cool down, they operate again. One of the traces on the circuit board will break, open up and close with temperature changes. If you're not familiar with it, it's the black piece sticking out of the side of the distributor. It has 2 wiring harnesses plugged into it.

The other thing that can cause this is the ignition coil. They can also break down under heat. These are 2 easiest things to replace. I see you are relatively new to the forum and I don't know how long you've owned your Fiero, but welcome. If you don't already know, you should always carry an extra ignition control module.
Iamlost22185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks. I will have to check into that ICM I did replace it once about 3 years ago. Its just wierd when it dies its like someone just turned the key off that's how easy it dies.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the indicator that it's the ICM. They do that a lot. Some of them don't last a week on a car, so 3 years is pretty good.
Try to find a Delco....house brands are not so good.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-09-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

That's the indicator that it's the ICM. They do that a lot. Some of them don't last a week on a car, so 3 years is pretty good.
Try to find a Delco....house brands are not so good.

Ditto, get NOS Delco original part, they have a tendency to be more dependable and last the longest. I have replaced some and only got a day or 2 out of them when they were house brands, and those were Fords they were in so this is not an uncommon thing to go.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Iamlost22185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks I think the last one I put On was a bwd brand. But I'm heading to get another one now. Thanks for the input I will post and let u know if it works.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if it wasn't mentioned.... be sure to use heat sink compound.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, use heat sink compound, but not the clear stuff that comes with the modules. Get yourself to Radio Shack or electronics store and get a small tube of the white heat sink grease. Or the silver compound is even better.

I don't fully agree with the notion that the GM module is always better. After using Welles and BWD for years and getting a free one every time it failed, I went to a GM module with only a 90 day warranty. It failed in less than a month. The Pontiac dealer wouldn't replace it under warranty because it was an electronic item and their policy was that once electronic items are installed it's no-return, no-replacement. I went back to the Welles brand and always carry a spare to get me back to the parts store for a free replacement of the one that just failed.

Sorensen and Echlin also make the modules and give lifetime manufacturer's warranties.

We often blame engine bay heat as the culprit for module failures, but if you're just driving along and it fails, more than likely it isn't heat. Remember that on the 88 V6, the trunk fan was eliminated and 88's are no more prone to ICM failure than 85-87's. More than likely, you have weak grounds, a weak pickup coil, a weak ignition coil or weak sparkplug wires. Any of these can put an extra load on the ICM.
Iamlost22185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok update.
So I replaced the ICM and the are started right up and I drove it about 5 miles and it Died again and wouldn't start so I just broke down and when and Bought a new Distributor and installed it. The car started right up I then drove it 2 miles home and right as i pulled into my drive way the car Died again. Surely the ICM or the Coil Pick up didnt crap out on the new Distributor..... anyone have a thought on that? I'm going to call it a night but will work on it tomorrow after work.

Thanks Thomas
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow....a complete new distributor? Connectors are suspect now, as well as spark plug wires....(maybe too much resistance). Maybe a bad ignition coil is messing with the ICM. Don't throw away any of those ICMs yet.....
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your problem is getting worse, 5 minutes running then 2 minutes running. Well, I think you are in the right area, messing around with the ignition, the wires, connectors, etc - anything you are moving / disturbing, is changing things.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

Iamlost22185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought ne plug wires and spark plugs 3 weeks ago. I also seen a thread somewhere talking about a guy having a problem like this and they told him when it dies to prime the throttle body and see if it starts then if it does the ecm isn't sending the message to kick the fuel pump on. I will be updating as I go. But won't be working on it until tomorrow now. Heres to more brain storming
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suspect that the ignition coil is breaking down. After the car cools down, try to start it. If it does, then I'd go for the ignition coil.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I would suspect that the ignition coil is breaking down. After the car cools down, try to start it. If it does, then I'd go for the ignition coil.

Ayup had that happen on my old Ford Ranger. also had a bad coil tower where the plug wire to the distributer goes into the top of the coil, only reason I found it is it was getting dark and when I turned the engine over I could see the sparks flying out the top of the coil tower. tray watching that with someone else cranking the motor.
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-09-2013).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iamlost22185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok update. I tried to start the car and nothing but cranking. I did notice the fuel pump didn't turn on when I turned the key on.
I primed the car and it started and ran. I didn't move it anywhere. So maybe a relay now
Iamlost22185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iamlost22185Send a Private Message to Iamlost22185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Iamlost22185

102 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Are the fuel pump relays the same as any of the other relays o. The cars 4 or 6 cyl?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the A/C relay right next to it, they are swappable.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel relay on mine is right behind the driver on the firewall, and they can be jumpered to test. second suspect has to be the oil pressure sending unit. The car won't start if the ECM doesn't read that oil pressure. 9 chances out of 10 though it is the relay

Arn
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep if its not lack of spark, its likley lack of fuel.
Otherwise possibly computer/ grounds?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock