Spec stage 5 clutch.... too radical? by MaxCubes
Started on: 10-08-2013 02:06 AM
Replies: 9 (606 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 10-10-2013 07:56 AM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanna get some feedback before I purchase a stage 5 clutch for my supercharged 4.9

Having problems with my current spec stage 3 slipping..... my engine makes a ton of low end torque

..... what are the advantages and disadvantages of Stage 5
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up the Spec II + which is rated to 417 ftlbs for my 4.9 NA

Spec told me that the + is the kevlar faced disk which is smoother for the street.

The Spec 5 comes with that kevlar faced disk, I think, so if it does, it will behave on the street.

Your supercharged 4.9 can probably benefit from it

Hope this helps

Arn
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spec stage 5 is the sindered iron disc. The disc is a un sprung hub so between the solid hub disc and the very aggressive material you will probably get quite a bit of chatter on engagement. You would probably would be fine with the Spec stage 4+ and it would be a lot more forgiving.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justinbart is the only one I know who has ran the stage 5 clutch.

The Stage 3 and Stage 4 clutches use the same friction material, but the Stage 3 is a spring hub and Stage 4 is a solid hub.

A Stage 4 is a Stage 3 (6 puck) w/o the hub springs
A Stage 4+ is a Stage 3+ (solid ring friction material) w/o the hub springs.

My LS4/F40 Fiero is daily driven with a Stage 4+ and it has very good street manners.

You might check with Spec on the pressure plate that came with your kit. They have a couple of options for higher clamp load pressure plates that will increase the holding power, at the expense of the pedal being harder to push.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daniel87fierogt:

The spec stage 5 is the sindered iron disc. The disc is a un sprung hub so between the solid hub disc and the very aggressive material you will probably get quite a bit of chatter on engagement. You would probably would be fine with the Spec stage 4+ and it would be a lot more forgiving.

I have a sintered iron clutch disk from another manufacturer (McLeod) and it is very grabby. It is mostly engaged fully or disengaged so it is a bit hard to be really smooth with some shifts. BTW, my car is about 300 ft lbs of torque at the wheels (3800 SC Series III with intercooler, VS cam, N* TV, and a 3.4 pulley).

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-09-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow.... looking at some specs on the Spec stage 3 versus stage 3+

The clutch I got (stage 3)... is rated at 450 ft lbs.

The stage 3 plus is rated at 580 ft lbs..... a whopping 130 pounds more than the regular stage 3

....I shoulda, coulda got the stage 3 PLUS!!!

Im wondering if the stage 3 plus will be good enough.... The stage 5 is the same price

I don't want to do anymore clutch changes!!!!!!
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I aint using that 6 puck crap no more... looks cool, but don't grab worth a damn!
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Justinbart is the only one I know who has ran the stage 5 clutch.

The Stage 3 and Stage 4 clutches use the same friction material, but the Stage 3 is a spring hub and Stage 4 is a solid hub.

A Stage 4 is a Stage 3 (6 puck) w/o the hub springs
A Stage 4+ is a Stage 3+ (solid ring friction material) w/o the hub springs.

My LS4/F40 Fiero is daily driven with a Stage 4+ and it has very good street manners.

You might check with Spec on the pressure plate that came with your kit. They have a couple of options for higher clamp load pressure plates that will increase the holding power, at the expense of the pedal being harder to push.

Thanks for correcting my misinformation on the 5. I was on vacation at the time I posted and I shouldn't have gone on memory on that post.

I also had a sintered iron clutch from Bullyclutch (Ottawa Clutch) and it wasn't chattery but I was only running 160 hp on it and it could well chatter with a heavy load.

Arn
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go Spec 4+, I would say 3+ but I have seen multiple accounts of high power basically destroying the spring area of the clutch, but the 4+ with solid disk should not have that problem. I have driven a car with a straight racing clutch and it is pretty much an on off switch, exactly how I would imagine the stage 5 to be, very easy to stall... So if you commute with any stop and go I would vote stage 4+
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I also had a sintered iron clutch from Bullyclutch (Ottawa Clutch) and it wasn't chattery but I was only running 160 hp on it and it could well chatter with a heavy load.

I installed a www.BullyClutch.com Stage 3 in my GT last spring. Light pedal effort and holds great!

My Spec Stage 2 worked pretty good, but the release bearing collapsed - prompting the replacement.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-10-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave