Started on: 10-07-2013 08:48 AM
Replies: 6 (280 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 10-08-2013 05:29 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,
I looked in the ORGES cave and didn't find the answer,(maybe I'm just blind)
does the 87 have the distributor mounting surface and hole? or if hole not drilled, is the mounting area machined the same as a non DIS-II ign.
Also do the roller cams have the distributor gear on them? I see in the cave that the 86 was HEI and roller. so I'm Assuming, dangerous I know.. that the 87 cams still had them as part of the cam,
reason I ask, is to run sequential EFI you need a crank sensor and cam sensor, and turning a stock hei into a cam sensor is(looks) easy..
YES I'm crazy I'm going to Megasquirt a iron duke and add a mopar 2.2 turbo to it.. with sequential efi and if I get real ambitious individual cylinder timing and C.O.P.

and park the Indy drivetrain in a corner of my shed, for later use if needed , or resale if I ever sell it, the new owner could go back to stock..

if I could figure out a way to mount it, I'd use a 3800 s/c on the 4cyl.. just to see the looks on everyones faces..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2013 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DIS2 engine block uses DIS2 brick.
Block itself is cast to use DIS2 brick. Is not a machining issue, like a missing hole.

If you need a dist block, use 86 engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

DIS2 engine block uses DIS2 brick.
Block itself is cast to use DIS2 brick. Is not a machining issue, like a missing hole.

If you need a dist block, use 86 engine.

I f I'm understanding this, the "brick" is where the distributor was on earlier engines, correct , if so, is that "crank" sensor reading from the crank, or using the cam gear?
It's hard to brainstorm this without one here to look at, as the mega squirt to run sequential injector firing I'd need both a crank signal and a cam signal..
And with the crank/cam using gears, I might be able to get away with picking up another signal off a flying magnet at the balancer, but two crank signals is not "Ideal"

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 10-08-2013).]

puddlejumper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for puddlejumperSend a Private Message to puddlejumperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant figure out ogre's reply but here are some pictures: http://engineguy.com/genera...3-atkdp42-vin-r.html
Seems to be a plate covering the oil pump drive near the front .

[This message has been edited by puddlejumper (edited 10-08-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The DIS ignition brick is in the same general area as the distributer on earlier models. But the crank sensor on the DIS brick monitors the crankshaft rotation, not the camshaft. Installing a cam sensor on that engine is going to be a challenge.

Have you considered looking for another engine that can use those electronics? For example, the 2.2 OHV that superseded the Duke came with sequential fuel injection starting in 1994. They can be found in S-10 pickups and some small / midsize FWD cars. The 2.2 OHV will also handle boost better than the Duke.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock