Striping Application by ILVMYGT
Started on: 10-06-2013 11:08 AM
Replies: 7 (396 views)
Last post by: ILVMYGT on 12-15-2013 10:09 PM
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am putting a pearl essence stripe on my hood and need some help doing it. We were looking for something subtle. The plan is to base coat, tape off the stripe, apply the clear with pearl essence, then pull the tape and clear coat. I am using Deltron base with clear. I have been practicing with on smaller panels as I paint other panels, but I have some questions.

The Delton says you can tape after 4 hours. Should I wait longer? How long?

After I apply the pearl essence how long should I wait to put the tape?

After I pull the tape how long should I wait to apply the clear?

After I pull the tape, if there is any tape residue can I wipe the panel with a cleaner like prepsol?

How long should I wait to top coat over the pearl essence?

Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks
Frank

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Roger Garrison is our premier paint guy, I wouldn't even attempt to answer this one, there are so many variables to this.

if he doesn't post soon send him a PM.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you are using the" Blue " fine line masking to edge the stripes. there should Not be any tape residue.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I understand, your going to paint the hood with basecoat color, then tape a stripe with only pearle coat, then clearing the whole hood ... correct ?

I do lots of multi color paint jobs so heres how I do it.

Paint your basecoat on the hood...only 2 coats or just enough to cover. Those 2 coats should be dry enough at room temp after 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Tape the lines with blue 3M tape, Lightly press the tape down and use real automotive masking paper (waxed) so it wont bleed thru and soften the basecolor. MAKE SURE that you masked carefully so none of the second color gets thru to the base (or you have to start over from the begining, touching up the basecoat.) Spray your pearle coats...(2-4). IMMEDIATELY pull off the paper and tape being careful not to touch any of the painted parts. Put down your 3 coats of clear topcoat. It must dry at least overnite at room temp. Then you can block sand the edge of the stripe level with 1000-1500 wet sandpaper. Buff it out the next day. It gets harder if you let it dry longer. DO NOT TACK OFF EITHER OF THE COLORS BEFORE YOU CLEAR IT.

I painted my Fiero 'Raptor' in 4 colors of graphincs in one day and cleared it.

AGAIN...DONT leave the masking paper or tape on after you spray the stripe for more than a few minutes. The reducers can soak thru in the paint and leave tape imprints. You wont have any tape residue to clean...so DONT TOUCH either color before its cleared. Anything you do will show in the final clear permanently. (tape prints, paper prints, and metallics/ pearles will smear or streak and will look awful when out in the sun after its buffed out.)
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See I told you the old man would know how to do it.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ILVMYGT:

I am putting a pearl essence stripe on my hood and need some help doing it. We were looking for something subtle. The plan is to base coat, tape off the stripe, apply the clear with pearl essence, then pull the tape and clear coat. I am using Deltron base with clear. I have been practicing with on smaller panels as I paint other panels, but I have some questions.

The Delton says you can tape after 4 hours. Should I wait longer? How long?

After I apply the pearl essence how long should I wait to put the tape?

After I pull the tape how long should I wait to apply the clear?

After I pull the tape, if there is any tape residue can I wipe the panel with a cleaner like prepsol?

How long should I wait to top coat over the pearl essence?

Anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks
Frank

Amount of time to tape depends on the temp & the reducer you use. I usually use a quick reducer (for the ambient temp) & can tape in about an hour.
If you're mixing powered pearl in clear you'll get a milky look until the light hits it to bring out the pearl. Use a pearl made for 3-stage paint (liquid basecoat) to avoid that. (Or use the real liquid pearl made to mix with clear if you can find it).
I would give the second (pearl) base at least a few minutes to dry before pulling the tape. If you pull it while wet, you'll get strings of wet paint dropping off into the paint.
You can usually top coat with clear 20 minutes after any basecoat. Read the tech sheets for the paint you're using.
You'll have to put more than three coats of clear on the edge of the stripe if you want to sand it smooth to buff it. I usually put at least 5. Trust me, you don't want to sand into the stripe after all this work. You won't be able to just go back & spot in the pearl - you'll have to sand it all smooth & start all over with the base color.
DO A TEST PANEL before doing the car. This way you'll know what works & what doesn't, & how it will look when finished.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill agree with some of that. The temp of the reducer does make a difference how quick it dries. I ONLY buy the fastest reducer myself. The clear I use does not use any reducer, its shot full strength, so 3 coats is even enough to DA sand without going thru....BUT you are right that you want to make sure you get enough on it. A lot also depends on your gun and spraying style. I have a gun that puts out almost all paint and no air...no overspray. It also lays down a thick coat. With my style and gun...with my clear is almost 1/8" thick with 3 coats. I can bury even MetalFlake. So this was all more of a reference rather than totally specific due to all the variables. Another words, your coat is almost always different from any other painters 'coat' and you have to adjust. You may need to spray 5 clear coats if you do thinner coats. Ive always felt that 'more' is not always better...too thick can cause more problems than too thin. You might just hit the edges of the stripe an extra time with each coat... You then get 6 on just the edges to sand and 3 on the rest. When you sand, your going to take 1-2 coats clear back off.
ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I got around to putting the stripe on the hood.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock