biggest fiero wheels possible? by JT.86FieroGT
Started on: 10-02-2013 09:59 PM
Replies: 27 (3376 views)
Last post by: dobey on 07-13-2014 07:41 PM
JT.86FieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know the largest size of wheels that can fit on a basic 86 gt fiero?
I have 17 inch rims that were on the car when i bought it (aren't stock). The wheels are kind of ugly so I will probably switch them out for something custom when/if I have the money.
just by looking I'd say that at least 20s with thin tires could fit easily
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JT,
The topic of widest possible wheels on the back of a Fiero has been discussed and debated many, many times here on the Forum.
As a starting point you should click on the Forum's [SEARCH] button that in on the upper right side of every page.
Then where it says SEARCH: , type in "wide wheels" ;
then where it says IN: select "Entire Forum and Archives"
Finally click on the [SEARCH] button .
That should give you a list of 40 or more threads on this topic.

That being said most folks seem to be running 6" - 8" wide wheels usually with an offset of 30mm - 45mm.
As for tire sizes 225mm - 255mm seem to be pretty common.
With a stock body I have read of some folks who have managed to fit 9" rims with 275/40 tires. However that usually required running coilover shocks and a careful choice of offset to get them to fit without rubbing.

I hope this info proves helpful. Good luck with your search.
And please keep us posted as to what you finally decide to do and how well it worked out for you.

Again Good Luck.

~ Bob ~

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

EDIT to add, P.S. Welcome to the Forum.

[This message has been edited by FieroBobo (edited 10-02-2013).]

LB23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LB23Send a Private Message to LB23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

JT,
The topic of widest possible wheels on the back of a Fiero has been discussed and debated many, many times here on the Forum.
As a starting point you should click on the Forum's [SEARCH] button that in on the upper right side of every page.
Then where it says SEARCH: , type in "wide wheels" ;
then where it says IN: select "Entire Forum and Archives"
Finally click on the [SEARCH] button .
That should give you a list of 40 or more threads on this topic.

That being said most folks seem to be running 6" - 8" wide wheels usually with an offset of 30mm - 45mm.
As for tire sizes 225mm - 255mm seem to be pretty common.
With a stock body I have read of some folks who have managed to fit 9" rims with 275/40 tires. However that usually required running coilover shocks and a careful choice of offset to get them to fit without rubbing.

I hope this info proves helpful. Good luck with your search.
And please keep us posted as to what you finally decide to do and how well it worked out for you.

Again Good Luck.

~ Bob ~

That is good info you posted there but I don't know how use full when he asked how big as in how tall not wide of tires can he fit.
LB23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LB23Send a Private Message to LB23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LB23

39 posts
Member since Mar 2012
...double post....

[This message has been edited by LB23 (edited 10-03-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
20x9.5" max using a 275/30/20 tire.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-083171.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-07-2013).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted in OT about how this type of changes would affect getting a sticker in some places as well as speedo and more. if you have a safety inspection for your Fiero you may want to check on changing tire sizes and passing inspection.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I've seen bigger.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw 22" on one here a few years ago.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I would help...

JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-083171.html

20x9.5? thats great - sweet chop top btw
Is yours an 88? it looks that way with your rocker panels
If it is an 88 I know they changed suspension in 87 or 88 i forget... but I wonder if that would affect it

thanks
PFF
System Bot
JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JT.86FieroGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I posted in OT about how this type of changes would affect getting a sticker in some places as well as speedo and more. if you have a safety inspection for your Fiero you may want to check on changing tire sizes and passing inspection.

Steve

what do you mean getting a sticker? a tag?
thanks
JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JT.86FieroGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013

Originally posted by TopNotch:

That is awesome!!
premium redneck entertainment right there
(I can say that because I'm from Oklahoma)
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT.86FieroGT:

what do you mean getting a sticker? a tag?
thanks

safety inspection sticker, if you have those in your state, changing tire sizes can keep you from getting a sticker in states that have safety inspections.
never mind evidently your state like many others don't care about cars being driven on the roads being safe to do so.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/safety-inspection/

Oklahoma

Annual safety inspections are no longer required.

Law enforcement may, upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not properly equipped as required, require that the driver of the vehicle stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection by the officer.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-04-2013).]

FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LB23:

That is good info you posted there but I don't know how use full when he asked how big as in how tall not wide of tires can he fit.

If the question is what the tallest rear wheel/tire that fits on a Fiero the answer is no more than 27.0" tall, diameter.
I got this info from jscott, To the best of my knowledge he discovered this the hard way.

~ Bob ~

------------------

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 18x9 0n the rear and they bottom out some times
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I have 18x9 0n the rear and they bottom out some times

solotwo,
Could you share what size tires are you running on the back,
what the wheel offset is, and whether the car is an '88, or an '84-87?

Thanks
~ Bob ~

------------------

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT.86FieroGT:

20x9.5? thats great - sweet chop top btw
Is yours an 88? it looks that way with your rocker panels

Not my car, but picture was posted earlier here on PFF.
My cars are in my sig below.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-07-2013).]

Reg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RegClick Here to visit Reg's HomePageSend a Private Message to RegEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Core Racing 18" x 7.5. 225 R40 18

No problems with clearance except that the lettering on the tires will scrape when the wheels are turned to the max.

------------------
Best.
Reg Charie

[This message has been edited by Reg (edited 07-12-2014).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Thought I would help...

call me crazy but i LIKE this . Must ride like a stagecoach though or the fender lips would come down on the tires.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-12-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2014 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Pretty sure that's just a Fiero body shoved onto a truck frame (probably S-10/Blazer).

As for the largest possible, anything is possible if you have the money and/or skills to do it. On a stock body/drivetrain Fiero, I wouldn't go generally go larger than 17 or 18 though, with an offset relatively close to the stock wheels. The Fiero isn't a big car, so huge wheels just look corny on it. 18" wheels will already need a pretty low profile tire to keep the tire diameter the same as stock (so the speedometer/odometer remains accurate).
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

call me crazy but i LIKE this . Must ride like a stagecoach though or the fender lips would come down on the tires.

I hope that car doesn't have a stock engine in it. Those wheels must weigh 80 lbs each, without the tires.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
It'll drive like a Toyota! They make the smallest bump within 10 feet of the vehicle a jarring experience, don't handle, have poor design, and are cramped.

Maybe a first year Toyota. I've gotten stuck with the newer generation Camry a few times with rentals, and they were nothing like that.

A stock Fiero on the other hand… not exactly a Cadillac either.

Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, I look at my 18's, and occassionally wonder if theyre too big to suit the car. My speedo is slightly off with 45's on the rear and 40's on the front.

...interesting that in some states tire size keep you from getting a sticker. .....would that mean an insurance company could potentially refuse a claim as well i wonder (if the driver went to bigger wheels after the fact)?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Asphalt Risin:
...interesting that in some states tire size keep you from getting a sticker. .....would that mean an insurance company could potentially refuse a claim as well i wonder (if the driver went to bigger wheels after the fact)?

Yes. Speedometer/odometer accuracy is pretty important. Some states don't necessarily verify accuracy, even with a safety inspection, but it may result in the police finding you at fault in an accident, or an officer could pull you for speeding and require the speedometer accuracy to be verified. It may also affect resale of the vehicle, if the odometer is no longer accurate.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-13-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
Perhaps if I was shorter, skinnier, had shorter limbs and small feet, things would be better for me in cars for miniature people. I'm not minuature, so I drive comfy vehicles.

OK Lurch.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock