Started on: 10-02-2013 06:10 PM
Replies: 3 (147 views)
Last post by: Niterrorz on 10-04-2013 07:41 PM
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i pulled my motor upgraded to a 3.4 put a new clutch in and cleaned the trans off (this is a getrag 5spd), the trans wasnt leaking before but now that everything is back together it is, at first i thought it was a rear main but i checked the dip stick and the speed sensor level and there was almost no fluid in the trans. i have come to the conclusion that its the input shaft seal/bearing.

i DID check this when the trans was out as i saw RD thread on adapting a later model bearing to our trans but everything looked great otherwise i would have fixed it while it was out. the trans has 180k on it.

is there a way to seal the leak without pulling the trans? i read that the trans up to 87 used 5w30 as a lubricant when in 88 they went to syncrotech. i refilled my trans with high mileage 5w30 in hopes to swell and seal the leak although if its a crack in the casing (which i dont believe as i didnt see one) thats out the window. i have forgone driving untill i can fix this so i dont wipe out my new clutch. i also REALLLLLY dont want to pull all this apart again even though having pulled several dozen cradles i can say im pretty good at it and can have it out and back in within a day. but why do it if you dont have to right?

any help is great, thank you in advance for advice.

[This message has been edited by Niterrorz (edited 10-02-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt you can fix it by swelling the seal, but if you want to try it, you have to drive the car to throw the oil up to the seal. It won't get there without driving it.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mmmm ya very true, i guess if i go slow and dont use the clutch when shifting its less likely to get oil on it. truthfully as good as RD stuff is i seen his bearing fix was $100, i can just go get an f23 for 200ish and have a low mileage upgraded trans, which isnt really a bad idea anyway if i gotta pull the trans.
Niterrorz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
now i know why i stopped coming here, i say instead of repairing a trans with 180k on it that has little in the way of parts available to just get a newer lower mileage trans and i get a thumbs down.... LOVE THIS FORUM!

thanks fieroguru for the input though ( i know that wasnt you)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock