Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Which mail order paint do you like the best?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Which mail order paint do you like the best? by woodyhere
Started on: 10-02-2013 10:02 AM
Replies: 8 (274 views)
Last post by: woodyhere on 10-03-2013 08:04 PM
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereClick Here to Email woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like most "Northern Fiero owners" I am getting supplies lined up for this winter. I have some quarter panel scoops to paint and the hood and nose needs painting. I have a fair amount of body and paint work experience. I'm looking for a source for good paint at a good price. It needs to match the rest of the car. The car is medium red. The original paint is in very good condition except for chips on the nose and hood. I'm going to re-clear coat the whole car. Have a product you like best?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got all of this for around $50 locally...

...and did this with it.

Cheap alternative if you want to do a color change

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 10-02-2013).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereClick Here to Email woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks a lot like what we can get from Fleet Farm. Good stuff which I have used on other cars. I'm really looking for something in my stock color.

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgClick Here to Email trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duplicolor has premixed quarts avaliable in all the stock colors, It is easy to work with and avaliable. Larry
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereClick Here to Email woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Larry, I'll have to check it out. It's hard to believe how much paint cost these days. I used to paint cars in my garage 40 years ago. The supplies to paint a full size car ran around $50.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Duplicolor has premixed quarts avaliable in all the stock colors, It is easy to work with and avaliable. Larry

I didnt know that. All Ive seen except in spray cans were generic colors 'a' red, blue, yellow, black, white, green, clear.

When I started painting cars, I could buy a gallon of acrylic enamel for around $7.00 depending on color. Now its so expensive body shops can buy 1/4 pints. Higher end paints are $100 a quart now. I pay about $40 @ quart average for SW Dimension 4 basecoat. I refuse to be extorted by companies like PPG. I had a guy that insisted his 4 wheels be painted with House of Kolor. His material bill for 4 wheels was almost $400. That was not including my labor.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-03-2013).]

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Curious if they carry base coat/cleat coat system or just A/E?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duplicolor is lacquer. Yes they have a clear. Far as I know they dont have a clearcoat 'system' with a base color. Like I said, far as Ive seen around here they have like 6 colors.

From their website....

" Product Description
DupliColor's Paint Shop Finish system allows you to create a high-quality finish when using the primer, color and clear. It's a high-quality lacquer system designed for automotive and motorcycle applications. Paint Shop is easy to apply, dries quickly and can be buffed to a brilliant smooth finish. It's a ready to spray system, so no mixing or reducing is required. "

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 10-03-2013).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereClick Here to Email woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roger. I checked out the Duplicolor. I don't want lacquer. I need base coat and top coat paint. Can you tell me more about the brand you use?

Thanks, Woody

------------------
woodys 427

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock