Air breather heater hose by newfiejeff
Started on: 10-02-2013 07:48 AM
Replies: 13 (423 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 10-02-2013 11:23 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2m4 5 speed

Hey, after finishing up putting my alternator on last night I was putting the breather back on the motor I noticed that there is no hose going from that to the engine/exhaust for heat. I know on old cars years ago they used to have a hose coming from the exhaust to supply heat to the intake when the engine was cold.
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have the clamped on piece that connects over the exhaust tubing?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I have been under the car for about two nights replacing the alternator I didn't see anything that it would attach it to. The converter is missing and the muffler replaced so if it was attached to that then I don't have it.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it run good when cold? If so, you could leave it off.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I only got the car a couple of weeks ago with a clutch air problem and a bad alternator and not licensed for the road yet, so I really don't know if it works that well when it's cold. I have an EGR valve missing and a vacuum leak(high RPM), so I have those issue's to deal with first, but from what I can see it seems fine so far. I will monitor from here on in.

Do you have a picture of what is missin from my car?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's just a clamp-on A good muffler shop can devise something similar. It just creates a chamber that holds heat that can be sucked up to the intake..
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is why GM used Thermac on 300 units. Thermac is to stop "carb freeze." 300 TBI can freeze under some weather conditions. (87&up duke w/ 700 series doesn't have the freeze issue.)

You know when that happens... sadly when it happens on the road, likely in traffic.
and freezing a carb/tbi doesn't mean freezing weather.

Most freeze I've seen you have crap idle or can't idle at all. Stop to look at the problem? Engine temp quick thaws and hides the problem.

Fiero has "cold air intake" from factory... If you have this issue... Careful disconnect cold air at air cleaner. Make sure won't hit the exhaust.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 700, would that be correct? So you are saying that I won't have that issue?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:
1986 2m4 5 speed
I have a 700, would that be correct? So you are saying that I won't have that issue?

86 has 300 from factory.
See my Cave, Quick Ref
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not possible I seen a 700 stamped on it?
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Not possible I seen a 700 stamped on it?

does it look like this one?
http://myfiero.oceanmoon.co...gines/700-series-tbi
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need major work to use 700 on older engine... Or switch to newer engine meaning a 87+ engine. You can't even mount a thermac air cleaner on a 700 series.
GM/Delphi 700 series is a compete new(er) design and not a easy swap w/ 300 series.

See my Cave, 700 TBI
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it looks like I got a 300 series. Is there much information kicking around on the 300?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock