Headlight issue by 4thfiero
Started on: 10-01-2013 08:12 PM
Replies: 7 (145 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-07-2013 11:55 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, one more question, got my headlights working again! Both pop up and light up just fine, however when i close them, my passanger side one shuts about halfway...(UGH!!!) i can press on it with my hand and help it down np, but it wont go down al the way itself. they are 86 headlight motors, is the motor going? or out iof adjustment? what do u guys think???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RyanNierman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanNiermanSend a Private Message to RyanNiermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have to push on the knob, your limit switch is not making full contact through the downward motion. This can be debris in the motor itself, or even the seal at the top of the motor, right under the turn knob. I've seen seals that are swollen or dry rotted that interfere with the motor end play - which is used by the limit switch.

If this is all foreign to you, let me know. I'm not sure what steps you have gone through with your system.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah sorry, not understanding, i havnt taken any steps yet...what should i check first
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you taken the motors apart to do a rebuild? If so, the limit switch may need cleaning, or as mentioned about the top rubber seal may not be seated in the correct position, not causing the limit switch to think the motor has hit full travel when it's only half way down. Have you tried turning the knob down through the spot where it sticks and see if there's any resistance there?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No i havnt tried that yet, i'll do that and get back, thanks!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like one of the brushes broke off the spring arm. Once you have the motor out of the assembly, remove the small plate on the side of the motor and observe the brushes. If a brush is missing, your only repair option for that is to find another motor and use the brush set from it. This isn't a great picture but you can see the brush is missing from the right spring arm.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, i'll check it out, thanks man
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan makes a good point about the rubber seal located underneath the knob, but it's usually not a problem unless the motor has been apart in the past. That seal is well captured by the two case halves and would be virtually impossible to dislodge without separating the case halves. It's something you do want to be sure to install properly if you do rebuild the motor.

If you decide not to tackle the motor rebuild, I provide a rebuild service. PM or email me for details if interested.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock