Replacing Starter Solenoid by fiero5150
Started on: 09-27-2013 06:04 PM
Replies: 6 (1076 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 09-29-2013 10:48 AM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the procedure for replacing the starter solenoid on a 1988GT, 2.8L V6, Vin9 with a standard transmission? Do I have to remove the exhaust system? As you may recall, the car would not start or even crank over. After doing a number of the troubleshooting suggestions that you folks gave me, I determined that the solenoid is bad. The engine will crank over if I short the poles on the solenoid. It will work for a about 3-6 starting attempts, then the solenoid will stop working (it will just click). After I short the solenoid again, the car will crank over with the key in the ignition. Thanks to all your suggestions, I was able to isolate the problem to the solenoid. Now I just need to replace the solenoid. But How?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are lots of different starters on these cars, so you will just have to see if you can find out what it is and if you can get another one. I think you can probably get the starter off without dropping the exhaust. You may be better off just putting on a different starter. Larry
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did mine a couple of months ago. Same car except auto.
There are two bolts that hold it on. You don`t have to remove the exhaust.
I don`t remember but you may have to remove the lower heat shield.
There might be a shim under the starter housing. Make sure if you use the same starter that you put it back on.
Oh, by the way disconnect the battery.
I waited until the starter was loose to disconnect the wires that run to the solenoid.
Easier to get to them that way.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 09-27-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine Hot Cold or Both?

Hot engine then hot exhaust mean hot starter, especial when your missing heat shield(s).
Heat is enemy of starter life.

Fix... remove starter, swap Solenoid, replace starter.

And add a heat shield while you do the job.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest replacing both the solenoid and starter motor instead of just the solenoid as both of these parts work closely together. New (and rebuilt) starters come with both and it is pretty much the same amount of work to just replace the whole unit in my opinion. Get a part with lifetime warranty and save the receipt. I got almost 4 years out of an advance auto brand starter that I put on a car that I use for delivering pizza. I easily start that car 40 times a week for work alone. Low price, free replacement, and the relevant ease of the work make it a no brainer. Just be sure to save or photocopy your receipt as their computer wipes purchase history over two years old.

Edit to add: Be sure to save and reuse any starter shims from the old starter! They will be your easiest way of lining up the new starter. You do not want to have to try to align it from scratch.

[This message has been edited by OneSlowFiero (edited 09-27-2013).]

fiero5150

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, once again you all have come to the rescue. Based on what you all have advised, I will replace the starter and solenoid. I will follow your good advice and see how it comes out. Thanks to all.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero5150:

Well, once again you all have come to the rescue. Based on what you all have advised, I will replace the starter and solenoid. I will follow your good advice and see how it comes out. Thanks to all.

You have to take the starter and solenoid out as a unit and in doing so you may as well replace them both as a unit, lots easier for you in the end, unless money is an issue, then in that case you will save a lot of money just replacing the solenoid but as I said they are a unit and have to be pulled and replaced as a unit. you can't change the solenoid with the starter on the engine, unless of course the engine is out.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock