lack of oil by NiotaFiero
Started on: 09-27-2013 11:38 AM
Replies: 11 (178 views)
Last post by: NiotaFiero on 09-27-2013 09:05 PM
NiotaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With car running, I remove the oil cap where you put oil in and see no to little oil on head, is this normal? I know that in times past on other cars if I did that I would see oil circulating around the valves.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NiotaFiero:

With car running, I remove the oil cap where you put oil in and see no to little oil on head, is this normal? I know that in times past on other cars if I did that I would see oil circulating around the valves.

depends, how long it has been running, there should be some visible but you may not see it right away, only real way to make sure is take the valve covers off and start the car, there should be oil squirting out the tops of the pushrods of each cylinder. you may have a couple of clogged oil passages. does the engine make any noises when running? if so you definitely have a problem. I have always run some Mystery oil threw the system before changing the oil each time to clean out the system/passages. a quart of that added to the system and run it for a little while can keep the passages clean, unless they are so clogged they still won't let any oil into them. then you will need to flush the entire system some other way.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

depends, how long it has been running, there should be some visible but you may not see it right away, only real way to make sure is take the valve covers off and start the car, there should be oil squirting out the tops of the pushrods of each cylinder. you may have a couple of clogged oil passages. does the engine make any noises when running? if so you definitely have a problem. I have always run some Mystery oil threw the system before changing the oil each time to clean out the system/passages. a quart of that added to the system and run it for a little while can keep the passages clean, unless they are so clogged they still won't let any oil into them. then you will need to flush the entire system some other way.

Steve

This is after it has been running a while. When driving and accelerate, you can hear the valves clicking but it is very minor.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What engine?
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What engine?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let the car sit for 5 minutes if you just ran it.
Then check the oil, is the oil level full on the dipstick? (low level could tick)
When was the last time the oil was changed? Miles/months?
What oil are you using, 5w30? (Too thick could tick)
When was the filter last replaced? (plugged up could restrict flow)
After running it about 20-30 minutes or so, while running what does the oil pressure guage say idling in park/neutral?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-27-2013).]

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let the car sit for 5 minutes if you just ran it.
Then check the oil, is the oil level full on the dipstick? (low level could tick)
When was the last time the oil was changed? Miles/months?
What oil are you using, 5w30? (Too thick could tick)
When was the filter last replaced? (plugged up could restrict flow)
After running it about 20-30 minutes or so, while running what does the oil pressure guage say idling in park/neutral?

Oil level full, 6-8 months- much less than 3000. 10w30,changed filter with oil, will check pressure in a while. Checked oil pressure after sitting and running about 10 min. Reading about 30-35.

[This message has been edited by NiotaFiero (edited 09-27-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oil level full, 6-8 months- much less than 3000. 10w30,changed filter with oil, will check pressure in a while. Checked oil pressure after sitting and running about 10 min. Reading about 30-35.

Well, IMO oil doesnt reach full operating temp intil run for over 20 minutes, but that pressure isnt too bad.
If its conventional oil usually its recommended to change it in 6 months no matter the miles.
If you really want to know the health of your oil, get an oil analysis test done. This will tell you if you are in need of a change, or if the oil has metal or coolant or fuel in it.
Could be a rocker needs adjusting/tightening, I dont know much about that maybne someone will chime in.

some searches on it:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-095393.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...021104-2-024898.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-068686.html

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
If this started becasue you hear a ticking, it could likley be an exhaust leak. Egr tube or cracked manifold are common.
Looking in my 2.8s oil fill hole I dont really see much oil either and no probs here.
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If this started becasue you hear a ticking, it could likley be an exhaust leak. Egr tube or cracked manifold are common.
Looking in my 2.8s oil fill hole I dont really see much oil either and no probs here.

Thanks, I appreciate your replys, I guess I'm just a worry wart.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

10/30 might make it tick at startup, that is the reason for the 5/30 recommendation, to get oil up top quick.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

10/30 might make it tick at startup, that is the reason for the 5/30 recommendation, to get oil up top quick.

Steve

. Thanks, next oil change will be 5w30. Would putting "marvel" help anything?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock