3800 sc information by crashmydaytona
Started on: 09-26-2013 01:47 PM
Replies: 4 (262 views)
Last post by: crashmydaytona on 09-27-2013 10:32 AM
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been reading through old post and build threads to try and figure out the best and easiest way to do the 3800 sc swap. It is hard to keep it all straight not being familiar with this engines history. I have few basic questions if you have some time to answer it will be appreciated. my car 86 gt 5 speed.

What would be the best make model and year to use for a donor car? Are some years a better fit then others?
What exactly do I need to take from the donor? Brackets, wiring, computer, fuel pump, gauges what ever may be needed
Can the stock 5 speed transmission be used? Can it handle the extra HP
Is there a reputable pff vendor who sells a complete installation kit?
Are these swaps usually successful giving you years of fun or years of problems keeping the car running?

I have done other swaps and they end up getting out of control because of things you did not think of and surprise cost. I would love to do this the easiest way possible using good quality products from pff members or vendors and have an accurate cost for the entire swap.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can find one I would use the L32 Series 3 because of the added HP. But they are not as easy to find.
If I was to look again I would look for one from a Buick since chances are they have not been driven as hard as some of the other models.

L67 3800 Series II w/240hp
1996–2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
1997.5–2004 Buick Regal GS / GSE / GSX (SLP)
1996–1999 Buick Riviera (optional 1996-97, std. 1998-99)
2004–2005 Chevrolet Impala SS
2004–2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged/Intimidator SS
1996–1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (limited)
1996–2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
1997–2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / GTX (SLP)

L32 3800 Series III w/260hp
2004–2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Parts list. There are many of those already here on PFF you just need to do a search.
But here are what I would look for:
Engine (obviously)
Alternator/Generator
Harness
Axles
Engine Mounts (if you plan to make your own)
Transmission? I have used 5spd Muncie from 94 Z24 and a 5 spd Izusu from an 02 Cavalier, but I cant answer on the Fiero trans.
I would just keep it with the 4T65e HD that it comes with and tune it.
Buy an aftermarket pump so that it will be able to handle any future mods that you may put stress on the fueling system.

Very succesfull swaps. I am building a 3800 to handle a T66 Garrett Turbo as a DD. Just remember that this is custom and there will be headaches until you figure out stuff, but it has been done so many times that it really is a common swap now. Just swap directly and dont do any performance upgrades etc until it is in and running right.

Prices. Less then $2G. Just be smart and frugal when buying parts.

Ask questions and lots of them and do your homework. Go to sites like clubgp.com and do reading from people that own these engines already. Do searches on this site and you will find out pretty much all you need to know. There is another site that I go to as well that is dedicated to real fiero tech.

Cheers
BULL
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't feel qualified to talk about what you need since I had my swap done by olejoedad, so he would be the one to talk to. But, on the durability. I have had my swap now for 3 years and it has been totally reliable. The only time it failed me was when I had a connection on the fuel pump screw up. Other than that it has been running pretty much flawlessly. I have over 30K miles on it since the swap too. I had the car since 99 and drove it about 15K in about 10 years. After the swap it is so much fun to drive that I put about 10K on it a year.

On the transmission: you can use a 5 speed, but the torque of the 3800 SC will most likely cause the tranny to fail after a while unless you are really careful with how you put the power to it. I have the 4T65E-HD in mine and it was rebuilt and beefed up so I don't really think I am going to have trouble with that behind a basically stock Series III engine.
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$2000 seems like a decent price. what should i expect to pay for a ls67 or 37 and transmission I dont want the junk yard taking advantage of me? I am guessing a 67 is what i will end up with since there will be allot more available and get a better deal. will the axles of any of the cars on your list work or do i need specific ones?
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
found a guy with a 95 buick regal for sale car runs has a 3800 w/sc If I could get this car cheap would it work for the swap and have the parts I need? thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock