ramps for lifting Fieros high enough to work under by fuhrmann
Started on: 09-26-2013 10:19 AM
Replies: 12 (390 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 09-27-2013 02:17 PM
fuhrmann

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fuhrmannClick Here to visit fuhrmann's HomePageClick Here to Email fuhrmannSend a Private Message to fuhrmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have good leads on buying or building inexpensive ramps that let you get all 4 wheels off the ground about 18".

I have seen some online but they tend to be close to $2000 - why not look for a used lift at that price.

This is for occasional use and I would not prefer that they take up 1/4 of a garage when not in use. I have single wheel ramps but they leave a lot to be desired for height and it only gets one end up.

The ultimate would be something that you can drive the car up on and remove the sections between the wheels.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzClick Here to Email n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the set with the lights and bays for parts. Bookmarked for future reference.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 201
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used full car ramps and for a small car like the Fiero, I don't like them at all.

I much prefer a hydraulic jack with stands. I can put the car in the air safely and with some heavy wood blocks, create all the space I need underneath.

I find it is a much more compact system to store and easy to use.

Of course for major work I also have a installed 5 ton chain hoist, but for most work the jack and stands work well enough

Arn
fuhrmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fuhrmannClick Here to visit fuhrmann's HomePageClick Here to Email fuhrmannSend a Private Message to fuhrmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had seen the Corvette page. Was hoping that someone had actually done something similar.
My thoughts were to build two "boxes" that would be under the wheels with car car on it and removeable spans (similar to the ramps to get on it)between them to make it easier to work.
The plan was to use crosswise blocks on top of the boxes to act as build in wheel chocks and to give a noticeable bump when the car was properly in position.

I was hoping that someone had already done something similar so I could hear what worked well and what didn't.

I have used jack stands in the past but have two issues with them.
1) Not as tall as I would like and a lot of work to get them up to their limits.
2) Just not comfortable about their stability when they are up very high.

The second reason may be just me but it does count.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, you would just have four boxes, each pair connected with a bridge, or even a removable center section. My concern would be to make the thing as stable as possible when you drive up on it. When it is in the air, it should be stable, as long as the boxes are built strong enough.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 201
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the span between the boxes has to hold 1000lbs+ That is an issue for me. Home made ramps are fraught with design issues.

I think steel is a friend here

Arn
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

the span between the boxes has to hold 1000lbs+ That is an issue for me. Home made ramps are fraught with design issues.

I think steel is a friend here

Arn

That is why I would have a removable section. Wood will hold, if it is the correct type We used to use 2" oak ramps back on the farm to move tractors and combines up on trailers.

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those 2X10s or 12s have a lot of strength when used vertically. They are very similar to loadbearing walls. The OSB sides give lateral strength that is used in floor joists quite effectively. Despite my feelings about them, frankly I'd feel a whole lot safer if the "studs" were structural steel--even 5lbs per foot--and some kind of bracing for lateral strength.

When I was a kid growing up in East Texas, I used to go with my Pop to get his oil changed in Silsbee TX and the old guy had a four foot drive up ramp he used. The wood looked ancient but it was rough and I know he got it from one of the many sawmills in the area but even my Dad didn't trust it because he wouldn't let me get under the ramp even with our old light Model A on it.

I think wood is safe but I'd feel a whole lot safer with steel because it doesn't deteriorate the way wood does and is inherently stronger. Yes, it does lose strength over time with many uses but an average shade tree mechanic like me would use it perhaps 15 times a year at most.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Click Here to Email IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the vette ramps. May build that for mine (and my fiero).
Why not make each side three peices. The two for the wheels, the center part to just slide out of the way once the car is up and on.
Add external wood to act as alignment parts.

-Dave
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Click Here to Email 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

http://corvettec3.ca/ramps.htm

looks like a great setup to do the alignment on our Fiero's, little scary to drive up onto I would think though, anyone here ever used this set? one thing I would do differently to make them even more stable is have the base a little wider at the bottom than at the top.

nice setup though as I said.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguyClick Here to Email thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I chopped up an 8x8 (IIRC) into four 12" long sections. I just jack up the front, slide the blocks under the front wheels, then repeat in the back. It's not a huge amount of room, but usually adequate and not being constrained laterally is a benefit - I can stick my legs out the side or use a big breaker underneath without hitting anything, as well as drag cords or air hose in from any direction. I have some 6x2 "shims" I can add under tires if I need more clearance, but so far it's never happened. The 8x8 was expensive ($60?) but construction time was nil 'cause I had Home Depot chop it up for me. I've been meaning to nail little 2x2 stops at the front and back edge of the blocks just to avoid having a car roll off, but I haven't yet.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of car ramps that I use like that. I just jack up the car and stick them under the wheels, or under the frame, as a stop, incase something falls.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock