Started on: 09-26-2013 06:18 AM
Replies: 9 (504 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-27-2013 10:54 PM
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2013 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Are the differences in "fitment" not wiring connectors/etc
After having to reweld my battery tray to the wheel housing , I couldn't figure out what would be so different to have "real estate" issues, but didn't have a "non" fiero one here to look at.
I will snap photo's of the next one I see at a yard..
Anyone know whats different about the casting that everyone advises the use of the fiero one..
thanks..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to search the archives or google, but I believe it has to do with mounting points for the accessories. But I am not 100% sure on that, sorry.

Found this: http://ironduke7.tripod.com/dukevariations.htm

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 09-26-2013).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from what I remember looking at these, the big difference is the water pump.
Fiero has it on a housing off the side of the block, others had it on the front of the block with no hole on the side.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-26-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero uses VIN R duke.
VIN U and others wouldn't work.

In very short...
VIN A and E is for inline setup for trucks. Depended the year... Many/all blocks can't take VIN R water pump. Some parts can work on VIN R but mixing can be a headache, like Head from truck, intake from another car.
VIN U is for FWD cars but has little to nothing common to and is shorter (right to left as mounted in car) than VIN R.

And VIN R changes to DIS in 87 & up. Think Distributor as Version 1, DIS as Version 2. Major differences in the blocks, heads, TBI type, and more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul Mckibben also has some information on his site at www.fierosails.com regarding engine compatibility.

http://www.fierosails.com/Engine.html
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the replies, I found a '87 today, will go back with battery and gas to see if it runs and how well before I try to deal, if I can get the whole car cheap enough, I'll get the whole thing, they want 6 bills, I'm thinking 3 as the p/s fender is junk,roof and deck are junk, the interior shot,,
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember that the 87 and 88 are distributorless ignition. The 88 doesn't have a drive gear for the distributor. Not sure if that also applies to the 87. Maybe someone else can answer that.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Remember that the 87 and 88 are distributorless ignition. The 88 doesn't have a drive gear for the distributor. Not sure if that also applies to the 87. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Dist Gear doesn't matter when the 87&up block doesn't have dist hole.
DIS use 3 bolt holes + 1 crank sensor hole in about same area was the distributor...

For a start... See my Cave, Quick Ref
Treat V1 and V2 dukes as different engines.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-27-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Fiero uses VIN R duke.
VIN U and others wouldn't work.

In very short...
VIN A and E is for inline setup for trucks. Depended the year... Many/all blocks can't take VIN R water pump. Some parts can work on VIN R but mixing can be a headache, like Head from truck, intake from another car.
VIN U is for FWD cars but has little to nothing common to and is shorter (right to left as mounted in car) than VIN R.

And VIN R changes to DIS in 87 & up. Think Distributor as Version 1, DIS as Version 2. Major differences in the blocks, heads, TBI type, and more.

If I'm reading the vin correctly, as with f body's and my monte SS the 8th digit in the vin is engine code, correct.. as I also found a Pontiac 6000 with an "R" in the 8th spot, but with a/c. are those the same just a different waterpump for those with a/c and those without?
off to the bat cave, er, orge cave. thanks for all the answers and help.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 09-27-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
If I'm reading the vin correctly, as with f body's and my monte SS the 8th digit in the vin is engine code, correct.. as I also found a Pontiac 6000 with an "R" in the 8th spot, but with a/c. are those the same just a different waterpump for those with a/c and those without?

The block etc doesn't care but 87&up uses serpent belt
Most FWD have different WP and related belt drive parts because PS pump in FWD lives in the same space the Alt lives in Fiero.
Fiero and FWD use same AC setup.
See my Cave, DIS L4 Replace

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock