interchangeable clutches? 4sp/5sp by JHarvey
Started on: 09-24-2013 07:59 PM
Replies: 10 (343 views)
Last post by: Justinbart on 09-26-2013 12:24 PM
JHarvey

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JHarveySend a Private Message to JHarveyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
need some help. I'm putting the 4 speed in my 87 gt to replace the automatic. I have the complete swap minus needing a clutch. i do have the pressure plate and t/o bearing.

I posted a wtb in the mall and a seller says he gas a 5 speed clutch with approximately 500 miles on it. he said you can put a 5 speed clutch in a 4 speed trans but can't put a 4 speed clutch in a 5 speed trans. he said reason why you can't put a 4 speed clutch in a 5 speed trans is because t/o thickness differences.

just wanting to make sure this is correct before buying. he has the matching pressure plate as well.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should work.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Fiero clutch and pressure plates will interchange between all manual transmissions. The only thing different between transmissions is the throwout bearing. It is specific to the transmission. A 4-speed requires it's own throwout bearing. An Isuzu 5-speed requires its own throwout bearing. A Getrag 5-speed requires its own throwout bearing. You may bolt up any Fiero manual transmission to any Fiero engine.

If the 5-speed clutch you're purchasing came from a 4-cylinder, it will be a smaller diameter and may slip since the face diameter is smaller than is needed for the V6. The bolt patterns for the pressure plates are the same throughout all Fiero flywheels.

What is the specific application? Engine? Which transmission? What did the clutch come from? With that info, we could give a more specific answer.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 09-24-2013).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All pressure plates are not the same between the transmissions. For sure the pressure plates are different between the Muncy 4 speed and the Isuzu 5 speed. The hole through the fingers is a different diameter to match the bearing surface on the two different throghout bearings they use. The one with the smaller hole (Muncy) may work with the larger hole (Isuzu) but not the other way around. Larry
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

All pressure plates are not the same between the transmissions. For sure the pressure plates are different between the Muncy 4 speed and the Isuzu 5 speed. The hole through the fingers is a different diameter to match the bearing surface on the two different throghout bearings they use. The one with the smaller hole (Muncy) may work with the larger hole (Isuzu) but not the other way around. Larry

When I swapped from a Muncie 4-speed to an Isuzu 5-speed in my 85GT, I only swapped out the throwout bearing and left the Muncie clutch and pressure plate in the car. Never had any problems and it's 3rd owner is still running on the same setup.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I swapped from a Muncie 4-speed to an Isuzu 5-speed in my 85GT, I only swapped out the throwout bearing and left the Muncie clutch and pressure plate in the car. Never had any problems and it's 3rd owner is still running on the same setup.

Yes, if you read my post I said that may work, but not the other way around. Larry
JHarvey

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JHarveySend a Private Message to JHarveyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the clutch the guy is trying to sell me is from a getrag. he has the clutch and pressure plate both.
will i be able to use thus clutch and pressure plate on my 4 speed trans? while using my 4 speed throw out bearing?

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

X2...U cant use a 4 speed PP in a Getrag as it will rub the inside of the trans. Ran into this issue first hand...
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the clutch the guy is trying to sell me is from a getrag. he has the clutch and pressure plate both.
will i be able to use thus clutch and pressure plate on my 4 speed trans? while using my 4 speed throw out bearing?

It will depend on how the throughout bearing matches up with the fingers on the pressure plate. I only know for sure about the Muncy and Isuzu because I have them sitting here. Looks like the height of the pressure plate also comes into play, so, even though lots of people say they all interchange we know it is just not true. The clutch discs are all the same (except from the 4 cyl to V6) Larry
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the correction, Larry. I always thought they were totally interchangeable because all pressure plates will bolt to all flywheels. I've read on this forum where people had scrubbing problems, but just swapped out for a different brand of clutch for the same application and resolved that problem, so I thought any interference problem was just due to the manufacturer.

I have done the Isuzu trans on a Muncie clutch set on two occasions without any problems, but I've never done the Isuzu onto the Getrag pressure plate. Thanks for the correction.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JHarvey:

Yes, it should work fine.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors