Squeal, rattle & low voltage by CodeSlinger
Started on: 09-20-2013 01:40 PM
Replies: 4 (324 views)
Last post by: CodeSlinger on 09-24-2013 06:03 PM
CodeSlinger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodeSlingerSend a Private Message to CodeSlingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've run into problems that may be related, so I wanted to bounce some ideas off of you guys. Lately on startup, I've been hearing a crazy squeal (like a belt slipping). Takes a minute or so and then it goes away. But I'm also hearing kindof a noise that's like some sand and small pebbles in a dryer sound that's happening all the time but you can hear it most at idle. Fast forward to today and I started my car and saw the volt meter go fairly high (like16/17 volts) for a minute then it dropped to like 11/12 volts and the voltage light starting coming on faintly. I'm thinking that maybe the alternator's bearings maybe going causing a funny rattle-like sound and the belt to squeal and has now just gone altogether. I'll look at it this weekend, but I was wondering what you guys thought, thanks.

------------------
'87 GT 5-speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the belt and spin each pully by hand. You will probably feel roughness in one of the pullys, which is not good.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The squeal at start is your belt slipping. After start up when it squeals your voltage is low. Usually what happens is when the engine RPM gets low enough, the belt starts to grip, and when that happens the squeal goes away and the voltage gauge comes up to where it should be.

re: The way high voltage after start up along with the dim voltage light. Sounds like a voltage regulator starting to go. Unplug and replug the alternator plug a few times first to see if that clears the problem. If not look at replacing the voltage regulator in the alternator.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My A/C was making noise like the compressor was loose, turns out it was. It's hanging by one bolt, hopefully until tomorrow afternoon, when I plan to install bolts I bought this week.

I had the squealing at startup, then the lights and everything kept getting dimmer, then the battery died. Replaced the battery, everything runs fine, charges like it should, also no squeal.

I had to remove pieces of belt from the compressor and alternator, etc. The compressor wouldn't turn because pieces of belt were stuck in the pulley.

I had a Volvo years ago that had a rattle from the alternator. I was told that it was actually an electrical problem causing that noise; that it was the failure of one or more diodes, it would result in the alternator producing only about 10 amps, and IMHO it was likely caused by jump starting.
CodeSlinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CodeSlingerSend a Private Message to CodeSlingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I happened to have a rebuilt Duralast alternator. Apparently tightening the housing bolts (4) was not a requirement. 1 was gone, 1 was completely disconnected and held by the heat shield, the other 2 had about 1/4" gap, so this caused a little problem inside the alternator. I could probably have just fixed the broken wires and stuff, but I decided to just go with a new one...which was another fiasco trying to install. I thought the new one should have the correct pulley, but apparently you have to replace it. That's not a problem, but the guy at Napa offered to do that for me. He was also nut-tightening challenged and halfway to work the pulley was starting to rattle and I had to get towed. WTH. I'm more upset with myself for not checking it...grrrr...

------------------
'87 GT 5-speed

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock