New car with questions by newfiejeff
Started on: 09-20-2013 06:16 AM
Replies: 7 (202 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 09-23-2013 08:17 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, just got back last night from looking at a 1986 Fiero. I went thinking that I was going to look at a 1986 6 cyl. with the spoiler on the back! Got there the owner was charging the battery, he said when he parked it last fall it was fine but now the battery was dead and the battery light was on. So the battery was charged enough and the light was still on, took it for a ride. Came back popped the hood and it was a 4 cyl...., looked underneath the original paint was still on the bottom of the car, the engine cradle looked only a couple of years old and no rust anywhere!!!!!! So here it is a perfect body clear a paint job, 4 cyl expected a 6, alternator gone so I couldn't drive it home, what was I to do. The owner wanted to get rid of it and he was thinking that I wasn't going to buy it so I had to make a good offer, he was asking 3500, I walked away with 1500, get in the car and drive like hell...lol!!!
So anyways I got a car, will pick up on Sunday when I get another battery and some cable just in case I run into some troubles on the 2 hour run.
So first question without search the site:
1) is it the alternator or could it be something else? Is the altenatory changed through the back wheel with skirt off?
2) I didn't think they made 4 cylinders in 1986?
3) the car is a little hard getting in gear(5 speed standard), but when you press the clutch hard it does go into car, but when shifting driving along it's pretty good, reverse was a little hard with some grinding, the clutch pedal is up past the brake and the rod doesn't look bent, I am thinking that it is the slave clyinder?
4) the check engine light comes on from time to time, what could it be?
5) the car when started revs to about 3500 rpm's but lowers to about 1500 rpms with a shot of gas, but it doesn't sound like its reving high at 1500, also the idling will go up to 3000 or so for a sec and then come back down to normal and sometimes probably a little lower then normal, but don't shut off. So the idling wanders a little what could that be?
6) also just under the air filter, I guess the throttle body there is a vacuum hose that has a screw in it and looks like there must have been a little nipple or something in the throttle body as it looks filled with something, its just flush(I have no pics). What could that be, could that be the problem with the check engine light and the idling?

Also the interior is really good, the seats had covers on them, I never checked that out as he told me on the phone before I went to see him that the seats need to be done. The wife looked at the seat bottom on the passenger side and it was good, maybe the backs are gone.
Wicked!!!! Asking $3500 and walked away for $1500, as the commercial says start the car...lol!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also the headlights comes up but they won't go down, they have to be turned down manually. I will search the forum for this.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2) I didn't think they made 4 cylinders in 1986? They made 4 Cyl for the entire run....I had a 86 SE with the same combo you have 4cyl/5-speed

4) the check engine light comes on from time to time, what could it be? It is easy to check what is causing the Check Engine light to come on. Remove the bezel around the lighter and you will find the computer hook up. If you short the first 2 pins the check engine light will start blinking ...count the blinks for the error code(s) and cross reference with chart you can find on this site (search)
5) the car when started revs to about 3500 rpm's but lowers to about 1500 rpms with a shot of gas, but it doesn't sound like its reving high at 1500, also the idling will go up to 3000 or so for a sec and then come back down to normal and sometimes probably a little lower then normal, but don't shut off. So the idling wanders a little what could that be? A number of things can cause the hunting idle (see previous)
6) also just under the air filter, I guess the throttle body there is a vacuum hose that has a screw in it and looks like there must have been a little nipple or something in the throttle body as it looks filled with something, its just flush(I have no pics). What could that be, could that be the problem with the check engine light and the idling? Yeah it might....but I would post some pics and these guys can fill you in

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 09-20-2013).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you got a clean car with a spotless cradle for $1,500 I'd say you did well. Bummer it wasn't the V6 though. Sounds like all the issues are easily solved, and you'll probably have some fun fixing it up.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NetCam

1490 posts
Member since Mar 2012
If you got a clean car with a spotless cradle for $1,500 I'd say you did well. Bummer it wasn't the V6 though. Sounds like all the issues are easily solved, and you'll probably have some fun fixing it up.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the car yesterday, drove it home of a 180 klm drive. First 20 klms she was smooth, the next 30 klm was hell with bucking, jigging, smell of smoke, black smoke, the whole nine yards and then it just went out of her and she drives really smooth now. Must have been dead gas, water in the gas or carbon, but she is perfect now.

Had a quick look at the headlights not going down and boy I expect to have to rewire it all, they must have had a problem years ago with the lights going up and down. They rewired it and put a switch in the console to at least make them go up, so that is a project the winter.

I think the problem is the battery with the light coming on as it goes fine with a boost but won't hold a charge, but I will test this week.

I will take some pics this week and post and I will have a look at the slave cylinder as the rod and primary cylinder look new, maybe it wasn't bleed correct, I will start with that first.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BAT light comes on when the alternator is not producing as much voltage as the battery is holding.

Get the alternator checked.

And see if you can find a factory service manual, it will be invaluable.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock