Quarter window real intake by ssquire
Started on: 09-19-2013 05:18 PM
Replies: 6 (513 views)
Last post by: Khw on 09-20-2013 11:51 PM
ssquire

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ssquireSend a Private Message to ssquireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if you guys have seen any intakes that have been moved from the driver's side quarter panel to the driver's side window scoop? I'm beginning the process of preparing my car for paint and I was thinking about removing the side intake. Then I though it might be neat to have a nice chrome intake tube coming down from the quarter window. I'd either have to cut a hole in the decklid vents or create some other fiber glass cover to go there. I've seen the window scoops that are more for looks than anything, I was hoping to make it functional.

Here's my current car.

Photochopped to what I hope it might look like painted with no side vent.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ssquire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ssquireSend a Private Message to ssquireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something like this

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ssquire:

Something like this...

Well, it would be different... but is it an improvement?
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would be a good snorkel... for a submarine
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I got to go with Patrick and ask the same thing - what would it improve? The stock setup works tremendously well for what it is. Plus it's going to be you doing a whole lot of modifications for what when it boils down to it is essentially a visual modification.

If you must though, I forget which vehicle it is but some other GM cars that use the GM 60 degree V6 use the same air filter canister as the Fiero does, but have a lid that actually has the air intake hose going into it from the top. You'd probably want to source that lid and seal off the stock bottom somehow. You're going to either have to leave the decklid vent as is or add a reverse scoop to the decklid. The vents are a vital source of air flow going under the car, up through the drivetrain, and over the back of the car. If you just have one side vented you're going to mess up with how the air flow works as it was designed.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like this

I did this a few years ago.
The sound was fantastic
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't the drivers side quarter window area used as a intake vent on the PPG cars?

Actually I just searched it out and it wasn't a intake vent, rather a vent used to supply air to a fan that blew it over the intercooler.

I remembered that the scoop was functional, I just forgot the function it preformed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock