Started on: 09-18-2013 10:46 AM
Replies: 8 (313 views)
Last post by: sspeedstreet on 09-19-2013 11:23 AM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a "used on one project only" engine hoist and I'm having a problem with it. It's a one ton capacity from Harbor Freight and it doesn't lift the engine as high as I think it should. Is this a lack of hydraulic fluid or just a bad ram?

~Neil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably lack of fluid, fill it up and see what happens. Larry
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be low on fluid. There is probably a rubber plug on the side of the ram cylinder. With the ram fully retracted, fill the cylinder up to the hole with hydraulic fluid. Extend and retract the ram a few time to bleed the air and check the level again. Hope this helps!

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1987 Porsche 944S
1987 Corvette
1966 Porsche 911
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane-at the airport, nearly ready to fly

aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes, I've had to bleed mine, too. There should be a sicker on the side on how to do it. If you lift on the ram manually, you can induce air into the system, just like our clutch systems.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As high as you think it should, or as high as the thing is built to?
Pics?
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

As high as you think it should, or as high as the thing is built to?
Pics?

With the engine leveler on the engine and the drop chain at one link I couldn't put the motor on an engine stand. The ram is only extending 11.5" and I believe it should max out at 19.5".

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 09-18-2013).]

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open the let down valve and then pull the ram to full extension with the lifting arm, then you will know how high it can go. Larry
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine got to where it would only go up about 90%. I rebuilt it (new o-rings) & it goes up higher than it did when new.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A pint of hyd. fluid and it works like a champ now. Too obvious for my brain, I guess. Thanks to all.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock