Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  I used to think I knew something about brakes...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I used to think I knew something about brakes... by Slowbuild
Started on: 09-18-2013 12:30 AM
Replies: 2 (198 views)
Last post by: Slowbuild on 09-18-2013 11:24 AM
Slowbuild

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I'm having a running battle with my brakes. A little history: I have an 88 cradle with 88 vented on the rears, stock 86s on the front. I have no ebrake cables on the rears.

I have bled the crap out of them, but they are still spongy. If I pump them up the get hard in 2 pumps and hold firm. There are no leaks I can find front or rear.

I had the rear wheels off to bleed, so I had my son push the brakes. On the passenger side I noted that the pads were back from the rotor a bit, and had to move a fair bit before contacting the rotor. When he came off the pedal the piston receded again, leaving a visible gap to the rotor. The piston contacting the rotor co-incides with the pedal firming up. I've seen this before when the bearing is shot and the rotor wiggles the pads back, but never on a stationary assembly.

On the driver side this did not happen, the pads stayed close to the rotor and just clamped and released.

Any ideas from what I've described?

Thanks,

Chay
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to turn the E break adjuster in to set the travel of the caliper. This has been explained many times. Look it up, it is dead simple to do and your problems will go away. Larry
Slowbuild

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, you learn something every day.

Thanks for the tip....I'm doing a lot of reading now.....Sounds like you nailed it.
Chay

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock