Tilt column rebuild difficulties by JMJ2
Started on: 09-17-2013 12:31 PM
Replies: 7 (234 views)
Last post by: JMJ2 on 09-20-2013 09:37 AM
JMJ2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMJ2Send a Private Message to JMJ2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I've been a lurker for a while, first time posting.
I'm trying to fix the dreaded wobbly column, using a couple of how to's found through the forum, and i have it down to the upper tilt mechanism itself. Tilt pins are pulled, and the next step in the how to's is to pull the ignition rack. "how to" says to rotate to the left to remove it, but mine won't budge... am i missing something, or is it seized parts and time to hunt for a new column?

by the by, it's an 85 SE V6, 4spd

thanks in advance,

James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you provide a pic of where you are at that will help.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I know what you mean - the thing you're supposed to use a large Phillips screwdriver to turn. The answer is you push it in first, then turn. There is a spring behind it.
JMJ2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMJ2Send a Private Message to JMJ2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about the delay, let's see if i can get the pics to show.

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/102115872@N04/9801123984/">

The tilt preload spring is already removed, pivot pins are out, I just don't know what F is holding the thing together now!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scroll down and start reading where the pictures start.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/088020-3.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-18-2013).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pull the release handle toward you and you will see the 2 metal fingers at the top move down you will need to keep pulling it till the top unit come off takes a couple of pulls.
JMJ2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMJ2Send a Private Message to JMJ2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks, will try tonight..... or tomorrow, honey do list is ridiculous right now!
JMJ2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JMJ2Send a Private Message to JMJ2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mmeyer86gt/gtp, You are a scholar and a gentleman! Your post was precisely the step not clarified in the many how to's I had read, worked like a champ. I owe you one!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock