Do all fiero exhausts sound like this? by FieroGT-987
Started on: 09-17-2013 12:05 AM
Replies: 30 (591 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 09-18-2013 07:16 PM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 gt 2.8 doesnt sound bad, but when i rev it or get on it, it has that rattling ricey sound to it,. I replaced stock muffler with flowmaster super 44 series (nice and deep). Its even worse now. This muffler shouldnt be ricey or crackly when i get on it. Why would it sound like this?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I lost track in your umpteen muffler threads whether or not you had a cat installed.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No cat.. Currently No tips or tailpipes connected to muffler outlet
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT-987:

This muffler shouldnt be ricey or crackly when i get on it. Why would it sound like this?

You just answered your own question.

No cat.. Currently No tips or tailpipes connected to muffler outlet

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just asking questions so he can answer them himself - seventh thread on exhaust alone - 1 on TB intake spacer that turned into cold air intake ----- SOOOOO finish the exhaust that either you installed or that came on the car (depending on which thread you read) System must be complete before you know the final end sound - but I'm sure you know that. AND it will never sound like a v8. IF you want to help the flow PORT the exhaust manifolds - AND SEARCH is your friend ---- use the search feature - your questions may have already been answered.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cat. converter helps to mellow the sound, otherwise, it will be loud. I had an OEM (new) exhaust system installed in my Formula, without a cat. and it was loud. I sold it before I got a chance to put a cat. on it. It was louder than a stock Fiero and didn't sound as nice, in my opinion.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. ,wonder if a glasack in place of straight pipe (where cat should go) would help

[This message has been edited by FieroGT-987 (edited 09-17-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmm. ,wonder if a glasack in place of straight pipe (where cat should go) would help

Just buy a high quality cat. converter. They are not that expensive and the car will sound correct again.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your question was literally answered quite a few threads back on a good way to work your exhaust setup. And it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep track of what you have and what you're asking for because you keep starting new threads. Start a thread, and simply keep "bumping" (replying) it. This "pushes" it to the top of the forum page so people who click on Tech can see it. Constantly starting a new thread does you no good as we have to start over from scratch.

You can't just throw a muffler on and delete the catalytic converter and somehow expect your car to have some sort of magic V8 rumble. The L44 V6 is a 60 degree engine. A lot of GM V8s like 350s and LT1s are 90 degree. The overall architecture of the engine has a strong effect on resultant exhaust sound, along with other factors such as ignition order of the cylinders, and there's no way you're going to fully mimic any sound that attempts to have that "V8 rumble" with the stock L44 V6. Just doing what you keep doing, even if it's different mufflers, is going to keep giving you similar sounds due to overall architecture.

If you want to know how to make it sound good, you can do what I did - port the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe, which I'm fairly sure you were told to do in a few threads back. It's not only easy to do but FREE. Throw on a stock style replacement muffler, and leave the catalytic converter intact but throw on a 'high-flow'. It'll sound great. My GT has more than triple some of the Fieros mileage out there, and it's setup sounds pretty good. I very often get people asking if it's Flowmaster or Magnaflow, and when I tell them it's "stock" (as in the overall setup, not what's been done to it ) they usually give a nod of disbelief. I get a nice rumble at 900 RPM idle and as I rev to around three grand to shift in normal driving it's a constant whoooommmmmmm up to each shift point on the Getrag. it's great. You could go even further and have someone mandrel up all new piping after the Y pipe, but you'd have to find an exhaust shop will to do that (some steer away Fieros for some reason....).

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 09-17-2013).]

FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When in any thread did I say I expected a "V8 sound"? I know it wont be like that. I was just wondering how to make it sound a bit less crackly in high rpm. It sounds wonderful at low rpm and idle. I guess I could put a high flow cat or glasspack in place of the straight pipe. On a tight budget so Ill probabaly just get a glasspack for $20
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3.4pr straight piped out of my turbo...I think it sounds great....so just add a turbo ha ha.

Chay
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha i was actually thinking bout it in the future
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my experience, any V6 with a flowmaster muffler sounds "ricey and crackling". Without a cat, it will only be worse.

The stock muffler actually flows very well and you won't pick up any extra horsepower with the flowmaster. If it sounds bad, put the stock one back.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will it be a little less crackly or any change in tone if I put a glaspack in place of straight pipe?
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it will be quieter to some extent but I have no idea if the "tone" will be better.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot. Right now it sound good low rpm. Real nice and deep. Im just trying to find why it sound like that at higher rpm haha. Thanks a lot everyone
samt

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have just replaced the cat and saved yourself a lot of trouble..you'll be throwing stuff at it now trying to change the sound..whats wrong with the sound of a stock Fiero v6?

[This message has been edited by samt (edited 09-17-2013).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When in any thread did I say I expected a "V8 sound"?

I just figured that would be the topic of thread #8 on your exhaust and thought I would just get it out of the way. Also --e-bay will have plenty of resonators - glass packs and or replacement Catalytic Converters for your shopping experience. Good Luck with the ongoing quest for the perfect exhaust note.

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 09-17-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haha i was actually thinking bout it (adding a turbo) in the future

Oh gawd no. There'd be like 500 different threads about turbos started by you... all asking the same questions!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oh gawd no. There'd be like 500 different threads about turbos started by you... all asking the same questions!

Well, at least it's not about 3800s.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Well, at least it's not about 3800s.

Don't give him any ideas.
PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to get in the middle of this but, I read one thing that caught my attention. You said that you have not reinstalled the exhaust tips. Those four tips are not just for looks. They are tuned for the rumble...exhaust "note." The tips work with the rest of the factory exhaust to create the rumble that this V6 makes. V6's generally do not push enough air out of the exhaust to generate that throaty, balls hanging low exhaust note.

Put the horns back on!
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hilarious

Originally posted by Patrick:

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://youtu.be/4zP5DzhrllQ

I usually get the question, "I thought it was a V8" after they see its the V6.
It has a unique sound wide open, not like a V8 but more like a European engine according to the espectators
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2013 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

http://youtu.be/4zP5DzhrllQ

I usually get the question, "I thought it was a V8" after they see its the V6.
It has a unique sound wide open, not like a V8 but more like a European engine according to the espectators

So, like a V8 then?

There's a lot more to how an engine sounds, than simply number of cylinders and its size. Americans tend to have a bit of a perception problem, and think V8s have to sound like classic big blocks from Detroit.

Compare a Lotus Esprit V8, C6 Corvette, Ferrari F355, new Shelby GT500, and some classic muscle cars. They all sound different.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah IMO removing the cat makes it sound more like that, rattley and crackly, a magnaflow muffler might help, the type that has "acoustic suppression material" in it.

http://i121.photobucket.com.../Muffler_Cutaway.jpg

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-19-2013).]

FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks 2.5. Anyone know if adding a glasspack in the straight pipe will maybe quiet it down or make it less crackly/rattly. Thanks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another thing that can help is tips with resonators in them.
A glasspack woudl regulate the sound into raps instead of a hum I would think, but the muffler after it would control the tone.
FieroGT-987

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot. Ill do that and let you know how it goes
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something that nobody has mentioned...

Is it making a really loud "blaaaaat" sound?

When my stock muffler deteriorated, the inner layer came loose and rattled against the outer case.
Made a hell of a racket. Sounded like I was being buzzed by a pissed off Cessna, or a 200 lb. bumble bee.
I really thought something was wrong with my car.

If your stock muffler is coming apart inside (it may look normal on the outside) that might well be the noise that you are hearing.

Having said all that...
My favorite Fiero exhaust would have to be my old 3.4 with headers, a 272 cam, an Ocelot exhaust with GT tips, and no cat.
It had a nice lumpy idle, and would scream when you had your foot in it. I had at least one guy to shout across to me in traffic, asking if it was a V8.
It wasn't as loud or as lumpy as LaFiera's, but it sounded almost as good.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No - in one of the EIGHT exhaust threads he stated he had a flowmaster ---------
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock