Thougth I had it licked by stefanosg
Started on: 09-16-2013 08:11 PM
Replies: 4 (191 views)
Last post by: TONY_C on 09-17-2013 01:27 PM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I've been problem free for a little while now, but the gremlins have returned. When I was leaving work I started her up. She was not idling very good and when I tried to accelerate, she sputtered and grudgingly gained speed. She seemed to idle fine, but accelerating was a bit of an issue. Maintaining speed while doable was not without difficulty. As I neared home she started getting hotter than normal and some whitish smoke could be seen coming out the battery vent. When I reached home I popped the trunk to inspect the motor. Most of the smoke seemed to be coming from the exhaust manifold. Granted I was not a lot, but it was there nonetheless. I shut down the motor for further inspection. The corrugated wiring protector around the battery connector had started to melt and the spark plug wire caps were hot enough to burn my fingers. Pressed for time, I switched to my primary car and went to pick my daughter up from school. An hour later we got home and I decided to give the car a go. Started and ran as if nothing ever happened. I drove it around for 5 miles or so without incident. Any thoughts on what this gremlin might be. New parts include...

Plugs(AC Delco) and Wires
PCV
EGR
O2 Sensor
Air Filter and breather
MAP sensor
IACV
Fuel Pressure regulator
Throttle position sensor
Fuel Filter
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would help us to know what engine/trans you have......maybe year of the car too.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like it could have been running too lean and that could make the exhaust much hotter. The stumbling on acceleration you described also leads me to think it could be a fuel issue. I'd check the pressure and not just at idle, check it at WOT too.
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

It would help us to know what engine/trans you have......maybe year of the car too.

Sorry, forgot the important stuff. 88, 4 banger, auto

Running lean definitely sounds about right. MAT sensor? I think it about the only one I haven't replaced.

[This message has been edited by stefanosg (edited 09-17-2013).]

TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 Duke ran the same way, had the same symptoms. It took awhile for the check engine light to come on too. Once it did it was the code for lean condition (can't remember what code # it was offhand). The Duke sucks for checking fuel pressure because you have to rig up something to put the gauge inline but when I checked mine it was on 7psi - enough to idle but not enough to work right at half or wide open throttle. The pump should deliver 9-13 psi at all times.

[This message has been edited by TONY_C (edited 09-17-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock