How to check for dead cylinder/injector by 4thfiero
Started on: 09-16-2013 03:10 PM
Replies: 7 (670 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 09-16-2013 04:12 PM
4thfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, still trying to track down a power loss issue with my 88 2.8 v6...

Im not pulling codes anymore, i did have a vacuume leak, fixed that. Engine still sounds a little meaner that it should, and my accell is DEF not up to par, wondering if im only running on 5/6 cylinders...i did replace a fuel injector connector...cut the old one off and did the old twist and electricle tape the new one on. Thats still connnected. Idle seems okay, not loopy.

Whats the best method to check to see if one of my cylinders isnt firing??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LB23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LB23Send a Private Message to LB23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would pull the spark plug wire from the distributor one at a time. pull one and listen to if the engine bogs down. If it does its firing normal. Put the wire back and try the next one. If you get to one that the idle isnt affected when you pull the wire its not firing that cylinder.
LB23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LB23Send a Private Message to LB23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LB23

39 posts
Member since Mar 2012
ugg hit the back button and it posted again.

[This message has been edited by LB23 (edited 09-16-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id rather have a tach connected instead of just 'listening' for it to slow down. Id use a test tach under the hood, not the dash one. If you find one thats missing, pull the plug and check or replace it. Ive had plugs that looked fine turn out to be bad. If that dont make a difference, swap that injector with one from another cylinder and see if affects the rpms. If the bad cylinder follows the same injector, its bad. I have soaked a bad injector, then blew it out, with carb cleaner full strength back to working condition.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man!

What about checking for a bad fuel injector connector (like the fuel injector isnt engaging at all) she might sparl, but there's no fuel to spark...

Originally posted by LB23:

I would pull the spark plug wire from the distributor one at a time. pull one and listen to if the engine bogs down. If it does its firing normal. Put the wire back and try the next one. If you get to one that the idle isnt affected when you pull the wire its not firing that cylinder.

LB23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LB23Send a Private Message to LB23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your getting spark still a "test tach" wont tell you what cylinder is the issue.
If you do have a dead cylinder unpluging a good one will have you down to 4 so you will clearly hear it if it doesnt stall. When you find the dead one you wont have any change. very easy to tell just by ear.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay thanks very much!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

cut the old one off and did the old twist and electricle tape the new one on.

Go back and solder and heat shrink the spliced wires. With the heat and vibration on the engine, those twisted/taped connections will start giving you intermittent issues as they age... might even be the current issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock