Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Heating/cooling control damper malfunction!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Heating/cooling control damper malfunction! by hypo327
Started on: 09-16-2013 01:05 AM
Replies: 2 (110 views)
Last post by: olchap on 09-16-2013 10:11 AM
hypo327

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ever since I purchased my very clean late-run '86 GT (basically '87 with all '87 factory up-grades,) I've noticed the heat/cooling control damper, makes a loud noise when it opens or closes! Then it started periodically sticking shut, no matter what button I pushed, although the A/C, vent or heat was still operating, just stopped blowing air through the dash diffusers! Whenever I parked the car for a while, it would open on start-up, as long as I pushed a control button before starting the car. It continues to work as long as I don't try to change the setting by pushing a button when driving...then it just closes again...until I shut the car off and let it set awhile, then push a control button before starting the car, and not try to change it or it will close again.

I know it sound crazy, but has anyone ever had this problem, and better yet...how to fix it? Does the heat/cool damper have a servo motor that needs replacing or something??? If so, how do you get to it to fix it?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The temp slider is a cable actuated door.
The mode pushbuttons actuate small electrical servos.
Have you ever pulled the dash out. (It is actually pretty easy.)
olchap

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is just a cable that controls the door. Ditto on removing the dash to access it. I tried to get to mine two weeks ago and it is a pita with the dash installed.
On an unrelated note, my car blows hot all the time and I have checked the door. I don't really see any adjustment in the cable and am considering putting in an external heater core bypass to mitigate the heat in the car on warm days. I will keep an eye on your thread.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock