Body Panel assistance by j bf1
Started on: 09-15-2013 08:50 PM
Replies: 4 (269 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-17-2013 11:30 AM
j bf1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I am in the process of swapping the factory quarter panels with AUS quarters. Can someone please explain how best to remove rear quarter panels? I removed the black trim piece and the screws on the inner tire wall. There are several, what appear to be rivots/fasteners, attaching the lower quarter panel and upper panel. I think two of the rivots might be metal, the rest appear to be plastic. I don't want to force anything loose. Additionally, the lower ground skirt (running between front and rear wheels) also have 7 similar rivots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
~John

'88 GT 5spd White/Beechwood
'00 Corvette vert. 6spd Yellow/Black
'05 Colorado Xtreme Black/Graphite

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know off hand there is at least 1 metal rivet you have to drill out.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

MyMidlifeCrisis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyMidlifeCrisisClick Here to visit MyMidlifeCrisis's HomePageSend a Private Message to MyMidlifeCrisisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes you need to drill out the metal and plastic rivets. There are a couple where it overlaps the rear clip as well, under the moulding. You do not nee to remove the sail as tilting the bottom of the panel forward and easing down will dislodge it from the peg it sets against up under the sail.

The most difficult part for me is removing the rocker panel, First drill out all rivets underneath. Make sure you don't damage a coolant line. The drill out the rivets under the plastic covers on the door "step" for lack of a better term.

Next you have to insert a large flat head screw driver into each of the 3 clip position toward the read and ease out each of those. They will not totally disengage until you've pulled up on , and so released, the plastic "step " guard part of the rocker panel working from back to front. This will happen with a sharp "POP!". Don't worry you probably didnt bvreak it.

Now ease the front clips with the large screwdriver and the rocker panel should drop right off.
j bf1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for all the info. I am assuming pop rivets are use for re-installation?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j bf1:

I am assuming pop rivets are use for re-installation?

I've used short bolts (and nuts) along the bottom of the rockers.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock