no brake lights when pedal is depressed by Carl Calderone
Started on: 09-14-2013 08:52 PM
Replies: 2 (219 views)
Last post by: Carl Calderone on 09-14-2013 09:43 PM
Carl Calderone

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realized today while driving (thanks to a very considerate motorist) that I had no brake lights when I came to a stop. I checked the fuse and it was good, although it was a 15 amp and not the required 20 amp. I changed it to the 20 amp and still no brake lights. As anyone out there in Fiero land had a similar problem? I was told that it might be the switch associated with the brake pedal, but to be honest, my mechanical skill are a little weak....not sure what I should be looking for. If anyone has any advice for me, I open to suggestions...

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom !
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch is literally behind the brake pedal. It has a plunger behind the pedal (it'll look like a long cylinder piece with ridges), and a rectangular connector. When you depress the brake pedal to apply the brakes, the plunger on the switch completes a circuit and thus activates the brake lamps.

The switch does vary believe it or not depending on options your Fiero has, such as year (early year Fieros 84-85 had a different style switch) and if you have cruise or not, so you will need to state all of that to be pointed to the right direction to find the right switch. The switches should be around $15 however no matter which one you need.
Carl Calderone

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carl CalderoneSend a Private Message to Carl CalderoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great! I have noticed that the cruise control does not work either....do you think the two items are somehow related? The car in from 1984...when I got the car almost all the sending switches related to interior lights, door ajar etc were all non functioning, Those are all replaced and now in working order. The faulty brake switch might just be one more item gone wrong....

thanks for the insight.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock