Vacuum leak by Jmac2472
Started on: 09-14-2013 10:26 AM
Replies: 2 (286 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 09-15-2013 11:07 AM
Jmac2472

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jmac2472Send a Private Message to Jmac2472Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seem to have a vacuum leak somewhere, 86 gt 2.8. runs rich. poor milage, Are there some common places to look for vacuum leaks? Also will a vacuum leak affect brake performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the most common spots for a vacuum leak is the EGR tube. About the easiest way to 'check' that one is to cut out the side of a soda can to make a blanking plate. Cut it down to size so that it will fit between the bolts of the EGR tube. Loosen the bolts on the bottom of the upper intake manifold and slip the blank in and retighten the bolts.
If everything returns to normal you have found your leak. If not, you either have more leaks or it is leaking somewhere else.
I had one of the hoses that run under the intake manifold rub a hole in the side of it. That took me a while to find.
I don't see a vacuum leak affecting braking unless the leak is on the brake booster line and is significant.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your engine idling high? If your warm idle is about 1000 rpm, the vacuum system is OK.
Then I would suspect sensors.....O2, or possibly CTS.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-15-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock