84 4speed tranny issue by edfiero
Started on: 09-12-2013 10:38 AM
Replies: 3 (76 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 10-06-2013 07:59 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strange problem started this summer. After the car gets hot and I've driven some distance 20 miles or so, the shifter becomes difficult to move left and right.

Normally when you slap it to the left, it will immediately spring back to its 'center' position. However I've seen that when the car is hot, it will no longer spring back, and will stay in the leftmost position. After the car cools off, it works normally again.

Any clues on where to even look for this problem? I wouldnt be surprised if my original shifter cables are worn, but why would this be only a problem after driving a while? If its an issue with the Tranny itself, what part might be bad??

To date, I haven't really had any issues with putting the car in gear, or shifting out of any gear, other than it takes extra effort to move the shifter. The problem happens regardless of the clutch being in or out. And I don't have any issues with gears grinding.

Puzzled.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely the shift cable getting hot and binding up. Some people have been able to lube them by pulling a vacuum on one end and sucking up oil. Larry
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've lubed up the cables but that didn't seem to change anything. I still am seeing the selector cable get hard to move after about 20 minutes of driving. The odd thing is if I have the car off for about 5 minutes, the cables will free up again.
Things wouldn't have cooled off in only 5 minutes. So I am really stumped on this. Any other ideas ??
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

Things wouldn't have cooled off in only 5 minutes.

Yes, they could... check to see how close the cables are to exhaust parts.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock