Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  what can i use to hold up my engine hood?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
what can i use to hold up my engine hood? by northstar
Started on: 09-11-2013 09:54 PM
Replies: 14 (474 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 09-12-2013 05:28 PM
northstar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northstarSend a Private Message to northstarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 86 se my engine cover--rear hood won't stay up--lm using a broom handle this looks like well you know---what can I use? Thanks c-note
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman sells struts, they work great.
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My deck stays up as long as the wind in not to Strong. For safety I used a white drive way marker cut and sanded to length. ($1.00) Propped in the hole already in the deck lid and the truck rubber gasket, it works great and looks professional. I will post a picture tomorrow.

3/16 dia fiberglass driveway marker. Cut off top and sand a conical shape on the end then cut to 18 3/4 long.

[This message has been edited by jhgraham (edited 09-11-2013).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northstar:

I have a 86 se my engine cover--rear hood won't stay up

Have you adjusted the tension of the rear decklid springs/torsion rods?
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Rodney Dickman sells struts, they work great.

Or you can go with this... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091335.html
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added the dual strut kit to mine. best investment,,,,

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jhgraham:

My deck stays up as long as the wind in not to Strong.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Have you adjusted the tension of the rear decklid springs/torsion rods?

Same question. Move the pins for the torsion rods to increase the tension on the decklid.

See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-043677.html

------------------

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT
Super Duty 4 Indy #163

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you add a spoiler to the decklid? If so, you will need a strut kit or different springs. If this is OEM, then check to make sure one of the springs is not broken and adjust them. Otherwise, get the strut kit (I like it over the springs anyway).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MAKE SURE that you read the procedure for adjusting the stock springs. You could easily explode your rear glass. I suggest a heavy piece of plywood over it for just in case. Theres a LOT of tension on them that will catch you by surprise and happen in 1/10 of a second.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You could easily explode your rear glass.

???

With the rear decklid in place (and why would it not be?), I don't see any way the rear glass could be damaged while adjusting the decklid springs/torsion bars.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the straps are missing, broken, or about to break, the hinge WILL contact the glass (with no decklid installed, of course).

I used a hood cylinder from a 1984 Buick Regal on my lid, but it really needs 2- especially with a wing. Go with Rodney's kit if you want something clean and not homemade looking.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 09-12-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

???

With the rear decklid in place (and why would it not be?), I don't see any way the rear glass could be damaged while adjusting the decklid springs/torsion bars.

I have adjusted the springs, but the decklid was still on and limiting cables were in good condition. There shouldn't be an issue if the decklid is still on.

BTW, adjusting the springs won't help if a spoiler was added. New springs will need to be installed, or a strut kit.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added a factory spoiler to my non-spoiler car and simply moved the torsion bar pins to the next hole to put more tension on them. Worked perfectly.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I added a factory spoiler to my non-spoiler car and simply moved the torsion bar pins to the next hole to put more tension on them. Worked perfectly.

Interesting. Didn't work for two of my Fieros. It would go up, but any gust of wind and it would fall down.... annoying and painful

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been ten years since I even looked at one, but if Im remembering right, the two torsion springs are on the rear firewall and the glass bottom extends down below the deck lid by at least a few inches. I could be wrong...id have to see a pic.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock