Filling Holes in Plastic Body Panels by onesexyfiero
Started on: 09-11-2013 08:32 AM
Replies: 7 (2436 views)
Last post by: Niterrorz on 09-12-2013 07:28 PM
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking to fill holes in plastic body panels, like my fenders, which have holes left from my antenna delete and tapered rocker trim. How are folks doing this? Plastic welding? Epoxy or some type of adhesive? I want something that will last, and flex with the plastic. I don't want to put nice paint on it, only to have it show through in a couple of years.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also interested so I can fill my front license plate holes.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Takes two different materials. For the bumpers, buy the flexible bumper repair kit at an auto body supply store. For holes in plastic panels, I dish out BOTH sides of the hole with a dremel, making sure I get all the paint off for a few inches away. I then cut out a patch from fiberglass matt. Put tape on the outside of panel, mix some plastic repair filler and spread it on the inside. While its still wet put on the glass patch and wipe the remaining filler over it. After it dries, remove the tape on the outside and use more plastic filler on the outside. You will have a 'mushroom' shaped plug that wont fall out. Sand and reapply filler as needed, prime and paint. Ive also had good luck with simple epoxy covered with a skim coat of plastic filler.

these may help

http://solutions.3m.com/wps...992R4FbeQH8HT14PGTgl

http://www.autobodysupply.net/articles.asp?id=135
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I don't think I have any repairs/mods to make in the bumpers, but that's good to know.

Front fenders and doors are similar plastic, yes? I'm already familiar with SMC for clip, hood, etc.

Are you using mat, kitty hair or cloth fiberglass? You're just using filler, and no sort of resin? I'm used to saturating my fiberglass with resin before putting it on to prevent dry pockets. Does the filler penetrate the fiberglass? Regular plastic filler, or anything special?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bumper answer was for Arte. Other fillers other than FLEXIBLE filler made for urathane bumpers wont last. On old used cars for the lot, I do plastic weld cracks and holes, and use icing to smooth it out. Its cheap and dont have to last. Yes it will crack if its hit again...the idea being DONT RUN INTO STUFF.

Yes doors and fenders are same far as I know. Fiberglass cloth=mat...stronger than kitty hair or chop. Yes the plastic filler will soak into the cloth/mat without any resin. I did it on Corvettes to fill holes and cracks for 30 years. The cloth is not the finish, its only backing to brace up the crack or hole. The correct filler is what you finish the outside with and paint over. You DO have to mix enough to put on the part, lay the cloth in, AND wipe down with more filler before ANY of it dries so work fast and precut your cloth patch. It only needs to be a little bigger than the crack or hole. Driver I guess is an expert at fiberglass since he sells his own parts. He may tell you a different way, but mines worked fine for a long time.
olchap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olchapSend a Private Message to olchapEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used: 3M™ EZ Sand Flexible Parts Repair, 05895.
Kind of pricey but it does work very well. Mixes like two part epoxy. Also get: 3M's Polyolefin Adhesion Promoter 05907 spray.
I actually used it for repairs to facia and filled the "remote control car antenna" hole in the passenger quarter panel.
You will have to go to a "real" auto body store to get it.
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Thanks guys!
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i used fiberglass resin and cloth from menards for the antenna delete. just took a small piece of already cured fiberglass and taped it to the inside of the fender (the hole was cleaned and preped naturally) then filled it in with resin put a piece of fiberglass cloth over the hole and when dry i sanded it. as for the bumper i just used jb weld..... worked for me at least.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock