Started on: 09-10-2013 07:57 PM
Replies: 15 (855 views)
Last post by: IFLYR22 on 09-15-2013 01:18 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there an easy way to adjust the front Held coilovers? I cant seem to find a n easy way to adjust them up with the pressurs of the spri g on them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone?
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's impossible to adjust any coil over with the weight on the unit.
Jack up the car and turn the adjuster a fixed number of turns then repeat on the other side.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

It's impossible to adjust any coil over with the weight on the unit.
Jack up the car and turn the adjuster a fixed number of turns then repeat on the other side.

Yeah...I got that part covered...But the tension from the spring agaianst the adjuster will not allow it to turn without alot of force. There is not enough room to maje that force happen. Thinking maybe someone knew a trick to make this happen.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small spring compressor clamps. You can pick them up on ebay for ~$20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COI...N-TOOL-/330668870564

We use ones like this in the shop, on the vehicle in order to adjust coil-overs that have a lot of tension on the adjusters. Throw them on, run it in enough to take off tension, make your adjustments with your spanner wrench, then release. Quick process.

NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a bunch of strong zip ties.

[This message has been edited by NoMoreRicers (edited 09-11-2013).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Small spring compressor clamps. You can pick them up on ebay for ~$20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COI...N-TOOL-/330668870564

We use ones like this in the shop, on the vehicle in order to adjust coil-overs that have a lot of tension on the adjusters. Throw them on, run it in enough to take off tension, make your adjustments with your spanner wrench, then release. Quick process.

Will look and see what the smalleat set is I can find.Gonna have to be small cause very little room in that area...The listing u posted r they a small set?

Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure on those, just typed it up in ebay to find a picture.

You might try these... Not sure the spring rate of most setups on motorcycles but you just need to release the tension a little

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mot...em2a30e20966&vxp=mtr
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Not sure on those, just typed it up in ebay to find a picture.

You might try these... Not sure the spring rate of most setups on motorcycles but you just need to release the tension a little

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mot...em2a30e20966&vxp=mtr

That might work there....Just need to raise then about 2 turns ...

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you loosen the 3 allen nuts around the base that lock the height in place?
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on my QA-1 coilovers i wanted to use 10 " springs but they would have to be clamped down to get in , making for hard adjustment .so i got a heavier 9" spring , makes adjusting much easier .and i never use the locking allen screws .and they are not needed on my car anyway , nothing has ever worked loose .
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Did you loosen the 3 allen nuts around the base that lock the height in place?

There is only one on the set I have...The issue I am running into is once the adjusting nut starts putting pressure on the spring the threaded collar wants to spin on the shock. Plus there is hardly any room to for the tool in that area.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might be easier to remove the coil-over from the car (only two bolts) and compress the spring on the bench. Just a thought.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

It might be easier to remove the coil-over from the car (only two bolts) and compress the spring on the bench. Just a thought.

I tried something similiar to this but then it made it difficult to get the shock bolted back in. I got a few things to try..
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always unbolted the shock or the control arm from the knuckle, adjusted the spring and used a floor jack to install it back in place.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your shock body is separate from the threaded sleeve, you may be able to use an RTV to seal the threaded sleeve to the shock body. I did that to my rear struts and it makes it so much easier to make adjustments (even with weight on the wheels).

-Dave

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 09-15-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock