Started on: 09-10-2013 12:23 AM
Replies: 9 (1746 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-15-2013 11:43 PM
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard that a bad crankshaft position sensor can cause all sorts of weird engine issues so I bought one and plan on installing it this week. My engine doesn't always idle well. It surges when adding throttle and is not particularly responsive at times, other times its fine.

Where is it physically located on the engine?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's hidden under the ignition brick. It's actually attached to the backside of the ignition module. So be careful when pulling the ignition brick off the engine. You don't want to have broken crank sensor bits floating around inside your engine.
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lovely. Thank you Blacktree. Who's to say that I don't already?

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-10-2013).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:
I have heard that a bad crankshaft position sensor can cause all sorts of weird engine issues so I bought one and plan on installing it this week. My engine doesn't always idle well. It surges when adding throttle and is not particularly responsive at times, other times its fine.

Maybe but likely not crank sensor... Any iffy wiring, power ground or both, can cause this.

Start See my Cave, DIS Ignition and Wire Service

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre, Thank you for posting that. You don't happen to have a diagram showing the wires that you are referring to by chance? The engine in this car was swapped in when the last one blew. Its possible that all of the grounds didn't get replaced properly.
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess what ogre, I found the body to battery neg completely severed.

I cut off the corroded ends then cleaned the new bare wires with sandpaper then packed in dielectric grease. I also packed the connector with dielectric grease in an effort to prevent corrosion then stuck the wires into it and crimped it.

I also cleaned off the wire end loop, mounting screw, and the place where it bolts down to bare metal then dielectric greased those pieces too.

It's run perfectly since doing the repair. I'm not claiming that the drivability issues have been solved just yet, but so far so good. I've tried to solve the stalling and surging problem for so long that I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. It would be really nice if it was as simple as that.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If that ground helps...
Check other engine to body grounds. Likely they are bad too.

Many aftermarket battery cables has short wires you must splice. Most have problem because they don't waterproof the splice.
RACE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that the braided one that goes to the trunk lid hinge is worn quite a lot (maybe half way through) but it is still connected. I'll replace that one too.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where do u by new ground wires?? I have two ground wires that are cut off. Never knew what to do.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small braid sold in Dorman via many parts stores.
Big one, use battery cable w/ simple close loop on both ends... again see many parts stores.
Others than make one etc...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock