4.3 V8 Swap? by Dburger
Started on: 09-09-2013 07:04 PM
Replies: 27 (872 views)
Last post by: Dburger on 09-13-2013 09:41 PM
Dburger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been having thoughts about dropping a 1975-76 Chevy 262 V8 into a Fiero just for the heck of it. I know it doesn't make that much power, but it would still be interesting. Could I use a V8 Archie kit and an F40 transmission?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How can I say this tactfully?
I can't.

I've owned two different 262s.
It won't have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt.
Jeez... The 2.8 has as much "raw power" (LOL) as a 262.

But at least it'll have that V8 rumble.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-09-2013).]

Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-09-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read that it can be a pretty high revving engine though...
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't let me stop you.
Lots of people think that 4.9s are absurd. Do what ya' wanna do.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a SBC engine, so there's plenty of aftermarket support. While it's nothing to brag about in stock form, some aftermarket goodies could wake it up.

That said, I'd be tempted to stuff that 262 crank into a 350 block, and make a high-RPM screamer.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say go for it... Be different.
A 262 would be better on gas... yet still have that V8 rumble
....Go easy on the performance parts for this engine...
If you go to large on the cam or oversized carb will kill torque and drivability
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK, it's the only small block with those bore and stroke numbers. Other than valvetrain, the Internal parts will be specific to this engine.
That said, with the short stroke, it should rev forever.
I wonder how it would respond to a more modern FI system, like a stealth ram or <shudder> TPI.

From Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...t_small-block_engine

The 1975–1976 262 was a 262 cu in (4.3 L) 90° pushrod V8 with an iron block and heads. Bore and stroke were 3.67 in (93 mm) by 3.10 in (78.7 mm). Power output for 1975 was 110 hp (82 kW) and 195 lb·ft (264 N·m) at 3600 rpm. The 262 was replaced by the 305 for the 1977 model year.

This was Chevrolet's second 4.3 L-displacement powerplant; three other Chevrolet engines displaced 4.3 L: the Vortec 4300 (a V6 based on the Chevrolet 350, with two cylinders removed), the original 265 V8 in 1955, and a derivative of the GenerationII LT engines known as the L99 (using the 305's 3.736-inch bore, 5.94-inch connecting rods, and a 3-inch crankshaft stroke).

This engine was used in the following cars:

1975–1976 Chevrolet Monza
1975 Chevrolet Nova
Early 1977 Pontiac Ventura
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have one, do it. If you don't have one, forget it- you'll probably never find one. Back in the 80's I pulled one from a wrecked 75 Monza and put it in an 80 Monza. Sounded good, but was just as slow as the Duke I pulled out.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

renderareason

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for renderareasonSend a Private Message to renderareasonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

If you have one, do it.

I'm sure you could pop a good cam in there and wake it up a little
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest problem with the 262 is the bore size, it is too small to allow the use of the good heads with the larger valves therefore there is no way to really make that engine breathe very well. If you want a short stroke, you're better off using the 3" crank from a 283, it is small journal so you need the special bearings to fit in a large journal engine but all 283 cranks are forged steel whereas the 262 cranks are cast iron. Also, the 262 does not use 5.7" rods. There is a wide variety of very good 5.7" rods available.

For all the effort that a V8 swap entails, I think it's not worth the trouble to do it with a 262
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a line on a 75 Monza 2+2 automatic with a 262. Has been sitting for a while though. Hoping with some mods to at least break 200 hp
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2013 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dburger:

I have a line on a 75 Monza 2+2 automatic with a 262. Has been sitting for a while though. Hoping with some mods to at least break 200 hp

Forget putting the 262 in the Fiero. Buy the Monza and put an LS3 + 6 speed in it. Put some fat rubber on it, and go bracket racing with it on the weekends.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would love to have an H-body hatchback, but with 25+ other cars right now that seems out of the question. One of them has a decent 3100 I may try and sell on here though. I have some 350 parts I can use on a 262
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have some 350 parts I can use on a 262

Nothing good from a 350 is going to fit on a 262.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh, I've got 3 or 4 of them, 1 needs a bottom end, and then I have an OD transmission from an 80's custom cruiser

[This message has been edited by Dburger (edited 09-10-2013).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 262 is flat out a turd. Calling it a boat anchor is a compliment.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

The 262 is flat out a turd. Calling it a boat anchor is a compliment.

Economical though, and I need to save as much money as I can
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Economical though, and I need to save as much money as I can

Then sell it to someone who thinks they need it. It's not as economical as a stock 2.8. If you can't make all the pieces necessary to get it swapped in and running (which I presume you aren't doing, given you're asking about using the Archie kit and an F40), it's far from economical.

Just for the master kits for both an SBC and F40 together, you're going to spend between $6000-7000 just to get them. Then whatever it will cost to get your engine running in a worthy condition to go into the car. Maybe with the 262 you'll get 25-26 MPG on the highway, but the stock 2.8 already does better than that. And how much power is that 262 really going to make?

Hardly an economical swap. If your Fiero is already running and drivable, the most economical thing you can do is do what little it takes to keep it running.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Then sell it to someone who thinks they need it. It's not as economical as a stock 2.8. If you can't make all the pieces necessary to get it swapped in and running (which I presume you aren't doing, given you're asking about using the Archie kit and an F40), it's far from economical.

Just for the master kits for both an SBC and F40 together, you're going to spend between $6000-7000 just to get them. Then whatever it will cost to get your engine running in a worthy condition to go into the car. Maybe with the 262 you'll get 25-26 MPG on the highway, but the stock 2.8 already does better than that. And how much power is that 262 really going to make?

Hardly an economical swap. If your Fiero is already running and drivable, the most economical thing you can do is do what little it takes to keep it running.

Yeesh, if it costs that much then I might as well take my 3100 out. Max I can really spend is $3000 including the car itself

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeesh, if it costs that much then I might as well take my 3100 out. Max I can really spend is $3000 including the car itself

If you don't already have a car, then I'd say just spend the full $3000 on a good, clean, reliable, and possibly already swapped, Fiero. Buy a really cheap one and you might have to spend $3000 just to get it cleaned up and running properly. Very cheap cars tend to be very cheap for good reason.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can tell you that the 262 with the conversion kit required, will cost more than the 4.9 swap.

The 4.9 swap gives you 200 hp right out of the box, so to speak and is an easy swap.

I think the 262 is a bridge too far, but if you came across a 327, now that is a different story

Arn
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I can tell you that the 262 with the conversion kit required, will cost more than the 4.9 swap.

The 4.9 swap gives you 200 hp right out of the box, so to speak and is an easy swap.

...and the 4.9 already has an established haters network. How can you lose?
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to fabricate engine mounts, and I put 3 on it, and I carb'd it. It pulls strong to 6k and my current Centerforce II can't hold it. (290 ft/lb rated). I'm installing the Spec II plus which holds 417 ft/lbs.

I think for the money, you can't go wrong with the 4.9 swap.

Arn
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you don't already have a car, then I'd say just spend the full $3000 on a good, clean, reliable, and possibly already swapped, Fiero. Buy a really cheap one and you might have to spend $3000 just to get it cleaned up and running properly. Very cheap cars tend to be very cheap for good reason.

Already got a few cars. I was looking at an 85 GT I could get for 3k but it's been on CL for a very long time...

It might be hard to find a lower mileage 4.9 around here.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically, the 3100 will give you more bang for the buck than the 262 V8. And it's an easier swap. Just a thought.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Ironically, the 3100 will give you more bang for the buck than the 262 V8. And it's an easier swap. Just a thought.

Has 222k miles on it though. The '97 Cutlass it's in took a right front hit and the upper engine mounts are bent, and my dad told me the block could be cracked.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those dog bones are weak in that direction and the rubber bushings have a lot of slop and play in them. The motor should be just fine.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Those dog bones are weak in that direction and the rubber bushings have a lot of slop and play in them. The motor should be just fine.

Still has so many miles though. I've seen 2.8's make it far, but I'm not exactly positive this engine's been treated correctly. Car's been in our family since new, but sometimes it got maintenance late.

[This message has been edited by Dburger (edited 09-13-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock