84 4cyl, 86 5-speed, 3rd gear grinding - looking for ideas by tywhitaker
Started on: 09-09-2013 02:13 PM
Replies: 3 (263 views)
Last post by: tywhitaker on 09-10-2013 08:33 AM
tywhitaker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tywhitakerSend a Private Message to tywhitakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello:
I told myself I was going to pull the transmission this winter due to the 3rd gear grind. It grinds once the car is warm. No amount of double clutching makes it go away.

It is a 5-speed out of an 86 that I swapped last winter into my 84. Now I am having second thoughts and really want to research it before digging in.

Is there any other causes for this I should consider.

Thanks

Ty
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If that is the only gear that is having the problem then it is probably a bad syncro. Not much to do about it but replace it or the transmission, Which one is it, Getrag or Isuzu? Larry
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to live with it for a while, try floating gears... It's where, without engaging the clutch, you match rpm to the selected gear and it will sink in. it's okay to grind it until you find it, as long as you don't try to jam the selector into gear...a feather touch will do.
tywhitaker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tywhitakerSend a Private Message to tywhitakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yea. I am sure it is an Isuzu tranny. Thanks guys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock