Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  87 gt 2.8 stock is not getting enough air, at least I think. Please help!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 gt 2.8 stock is not getting enough air, at least I think. Please help! by FieroGT-987
Started on: 09-07-2013 10:50 AM
Replies: 2 (115 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 09-07-2013 11:17 AM
FieroGT-987

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT-987Send a Private Message to FieroGT-987Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 2.8 v6 fiero gt. all stock and original. I noticed that right when i start driving its fine for a half a mile. But then whenever i am driving and give it more than half throttle it kinda chokes out. It seems and sounds like the throttle body is not getting enough air. Then i noticed someone before me took out the water separater, now there is just a big open space behind the wheel well. The air box just pulls in air from under the car by the wheel well.. Is this most likely the problem? Sounds like it to me. What would you recommend doing? THANKS A LOT I APPRECIATE IT EVERYONE
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The benefit of the outside air intake is that it's a high pressure area and there is generally less contamination in the air along the side of the car. Inside the fenderwell is a low pressure area and also picks up a lot of dust and debris from the front wheel as the car passes over the area that the front wheel has traveled. You'll probably notice that you'll need to replace your filter more often with your current setup. It might also be pulling in warmer air from the engine compartment. Warm engine compartment air isn't as dense as outside air, so you have less fuel and air in the cylinder.

When the car engine is cold, the ECM kicks in a higher ratio of fuel to air. It will seem to have a bit more power than after the engine warms up. That's what intercoolers do. It was trick of the old school drag racers like myself to pour ice onto the runners of the intake just before pulling up on the track. It allowed a more dense fuel to air charge going into the cylinders.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not getting enough air - unlikely. Air is pretty easy to get into the engine.

More likely is that it isn't getting enough fuel. Check your fuel pressure.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock