Modifying GT rear clip.. by GodSend
Started on: 09-04-2013 09:23 PM
Replies: 3 (229 views)
Last post by: GodSend on 09-05-2013 11:19 AM
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking about doing some customization of the rear clip (around the tire/gas cap area). The material on that piece of body work seems much more rigid than the front/rear bumper covers.

What is the generally accepted material to use if I were fastening and/or creating some fiberglass pieces. I have seen pictures of people installing widebody kits on the rear shoulders with what appears be standard fiberglass matt and resin.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "rear clip" as it's commonly referred to - notchback or fastback - is made out of SMC. The hood, headlight doors, decklid, and roof panel are also made out of SMC. It is very similar to fiberglass, but unlike the RIM panels designed to flex under loads and resist dents - the fascias, doors, and fenders - SMC is not designed to flex and can chip and break like standard fiberglass.

You will have to use a proper SMC bonding agent to properly perform the type of modifications you want to perform. Standard fiberglass resins and mat can be used under the areas not to be seen to assist with structural integrity, but whatever ultimately lies on "top" that is seen should be an SMC-style agent.
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SMC (sheet molded composite) has a mold release agent built into the material to help parts be removed from the mold easily under mass production conditions. Normal fiberglass resin won't adhere to SMC and will eventually fail because of this release agent. Proper SMC resin must be used if the work you are planning to do is going to last.
Or at least that is what I remember reading some time ago.

Other products that may be of help;

http://www.pliogripbyvalvol...SMC_Panel_Repair.pdf

http://3mcollision.com/prod...-adhesive-08219.html
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I have a can of SMC filler/adhesive so I am good there. I am free though to build my modification in fiberglass and use the SMC for final attachment, filling, sanding though correct?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock