altinator bolt size need help by heavyRfoot
Started on: 09-04-2013 11:45 AM
Replies: 10 (260 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 09-05-2013 04:43 PM
heavyRfoot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so long story short my altinator went out bringing the car back home after just bought it went to replace it on side of the road both top and bottom bolts broke. Limped it rest of the way home and now removing the braket to replace with the spare i got but i need the bolts for it. I just cant find what size and thread pitch or even the length of them can someone help plz i want to get her running by friday to take her to the local show
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were you able to get the rest of the bolts out that had broken? If so are the ends in good enough shape to test? If they are, most hardware stores (at least big box brands) have boards setup to size both nuts and bolts, metric and standard. Just make sure to ask for automotive grade.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
I can measure when I get home for relative length, I have a whole extra set I'd give you but theres no way they'd get there by Friday.
heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No bolts are still in guess if i have to i can take the braket and altinator into the store with me and mesure them that way. Also forgot to metion its an 87 gt with 2.8 since im pretty sure they are differnt then the 2.5
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a whole motor dropout from my 87 gt, which is where the extra bolts come into play. Once I get home from taking the kids to the dentist I can at least get some measurements of length for ya. You just need the top bolt and then the one in the slider yea? Nothing for the bracket right?
heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

I have a whole motor dropout from my 87 gt, which is where the extra bolts come into play. Once I get home from taking the kids to the dentist I can at least get some measurements of length for ya. You just need the top bolt and then the one in the slider yea? Nothing for the bracket right?

That is correct sir
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, the top bolt is a long one that goes through a sleeve on the alternator bracket, through the alternator and threads into the bracket on the other side. This bolt has a shaft length (not including head of bolt) of 3 and 3/4 inches. On this bolt only the last 1 and 1/4 inches actually have to be threaded. More could be, but the closer you are to that amount of threads the better is will fit snugly in the alternator where it passes through.

I'm sure you have noticed that the lower bolt that's used for adjustment is smaller in diameter by a good amount. The length of that bolt is (same thing, just shaft length) 1 and 1/4 inches. This bolt does seem to have a tapered end on it although I don't believe that is necessary. I'm using my phone at the moment but I'll see if i can get a picture on here from it momentarily

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 09-04-2013).]

heavyRfoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thank you would you happen to know the thread pitch. I know they are metric for some reason. Also what grade are they. Do you think 8.8 will work
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your best bet would be to take it in like we discussed before. Yes they should be metric. As far as 8.8 working. I honestly dont see why not. They really arent all that load bearing. Although you'll crank the bottom one on the adjuster bar pretty tight, an 8.8 should hold up just fine. Its not like its holding motor torque. I'd think the belt would be an issue before a new bolt.
fastblack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you buy a new alternator yet? The reason I ask is because the re-man I bought from Napa came with a new bottom bolt in it, that would be the only one you would need to know the pitch on. As for the top one, go off the length EvilSqueezles gave ya and use a part of it that broke off for diameter. From there, go to the hardware store and buy a bolt with a matching nut.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't need the nut, it threads into the side of the alternator bracket. Its been years since I've bought a new alternator, didn't know about the volt coming with it. I wonder if they do that because some have different sizes since they are rebuilt and offered in several different vehicles.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock