fi-air-o scoop installation. help please by gambler85
Started on: 09-01-2013 06:02 PM
Replies: 14 (1076 views)
Last post by: gambler85 on 09-03-2013 11:09 PM
gambler85

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 87 gt fastback, and I have a set of over roof scoops (fi-air-o scoops). My question is how have other people installed them on a fastback car. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the over the roof scoops were designed to be used on notch backs? Specifically 84 notch backs with the center hood vent, since those vents are used to vent air out not to push air down in and through.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I thought the over the roof scoops were designed to be used on notch backs? Specifically 84 notch backs with the center hood vent, since those vents are used to vent air out not to push air down in and through.

You are right - they are.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't need people telling me about the way the vents on a fiero work. I have taken the necessary steps to make sure the engine bay will not over heat. I just need to intelligent information from people that have installed them on a fastback, (I know there are some here).

92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at this thread ....and BTW ....the people who have responded are intelligent
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with it. The only threads I could find on it show only 2 different fastbacks with the scoops on them. I have no idea who's they are and the threads are 7+ years old. They also don't show any detail as to how they were modified or mounted.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-036608.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-1-048326.html

Heck, maybe you can figure out a way to get in touch with this guy since he was selling his set that fit a fastback back in 99. Of course he has less than 500 posts over 14 years of forum membership...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...000503-1-000293.html

The reality is because those were designed for the notch back and the 84 to boot because of the vent location, their use on a fastback is rather uncommon.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 09-02-2013).]

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least one of the threads mentioned references using "Toms" (whoever that is) MR2 scoops. So for a completely different car (a RIVAL at that). Expect a lot of mods needed on those ones. I actually like the MR2 ones more, a little sleeker looking..
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:
...and BTW ....the people who have responded are intelligent

He wasn't questioning the intelligence of fierosound or Khw, his issue is that he didn't get a response that helped him with his problem in any way and rather assumed that he was ignorant... I can see where that would rub someone the wrong way.

Mike, how high do they sit if they are set on the metal vents? Could you just build up a structure and bolt them to the vent on the inside or does it leave funny gaps? I think it looks pretty good with the three or so louvers left exposed in the back if finished out well... but I would guess that there are fairly healthy gaps on the sides where the louvers slope down as well as clearance problems when tilting the vent to pull it out...

Man... you got some work ahead of you.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 09-03-2013).]

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am actually liking these Bomex scoops they use.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/a...er-mr2mar06_main.jpg
gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The scoops fit on the flat surface on the vent nick, I just can't figure out a way to get a nut to stay inside the scoop as to put a bolt and washer to go through the bottom side of the vent and into the bottom of the scoop
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

It never hurts to have background information added to a thread. Someone will need that info down the road when they stumble upon this thread and read thru to the end to see how gambler85 solved the fastback problem.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look neat but I'd question the performance if you aren't going 80+ mph. The center grate in the pic above will get downdraft from the air coming across the deck from the rear. The two scoops will act like chimneys when at idle. At speed though, you'll have air forcing downward from both the scoops and the grate. Good question whether it will have anywhere to go.

I"d say if you want them, mock up the install before you cut, and go for it.

arn
gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The grates that r riveted to the bottom of the vents now have sheet metal riveted to them so no air flow will be going through those scoops unless it goes through the cone filters to the intakes. And the louvers in the middle will be in the low pressure area that will be behind the roofof the car which will then suck the air from underneath the car through the engine bbayand then up through the louvers and out
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a theory, but it is not sound.

The air moves under the car, up the back of the car, and forward over the deck when you are at speed.

Those center louvers will attract air, not dispel it.

If you don't believe, do what I did. Attach 6" lengths of ribbon on the leading and trailing edge of your louver panel, then on the lip of the roof, then at the back end of the trunk. Drive down the freeway and have another car follow you and take pics of the ribbons.

You will see what I mean. Good luck

Arn

PS the flow looks like this which I posted a few years ago

gambler85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gambler85Send a Private Message to gambler85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I get where u are going. I take into consideration a flat back window in the back of a truck. I u have sawdust in the front of the be of a truck, the wind comes off the roof, rolls an then throws all of it at u through the sliding rear window. Which would be an up draft which would then suck the air that would be on top of the motor and suck it to the roof line again to go to the back of the vehicle

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock